Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch render and/or exterior paint?

AED16
Finding My Feet

How to patch render and/or exterior paint?

80BEB9C7-6F8E-4F6C-8A99-C33B8BD6DC9E.jpeg

5D72F523-FBAC-4D97-8693-6B9202221D31.jpeg

4516E699-C7FC-4963-9DFF-96900280DC79.jpeg

465F6E76-7D99-4046-91D4-593970349871.jpeg

  

Hello

We are wanting to spruce up the exterior of our house with a lick of paint however we are unsure of whether the exterior is simply painted (seems thicker and courser than paint) or rendered (doesn’t seem as thick as what I imagine tender to be). 
Are you able to give any ideas on what the exterior is and whether it would be possible to patch without removing it all? 
For context, the house is about 30 years old.

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch render and/or exterior paint?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AED16. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a painted wall.

It could be some type of render effect paint. It would likely be an excellent idea to re-coat with a textured finish as it will disguise these areas where the paint has peeled.

If the current paint continues to peel, your new topcoat will fail. You'll need to prepare these worn areas and determine how bad the existing paint is. If you have a high-pressure washer, I suggest thoroughly cleaning the whole wall. You'll need to do this anyway before painting. Pay special attention to these worn areas and try to blast off any loose paint. You must remove anything loose before painting.

After you've cleaned the areas, take a scraper and chip away area loose paint until you reach a section where it is still well adhered. You can paint the area if you feel the rest of the paint is still well attached.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much @MitchellMc for your speedy reply. That information is extremely helpful and we will do everything you’ve suggested. Much appreciated!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @AED16, and please reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects