Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare ground for pavers, deck and lawn for frontyard makeover?

Apoorv_S
Having an Impact

How to prepare ground for pavers, deck and lawn for frontyard makeover?

Hi Guys, paving.png

I would really appreciate any advice regarding my planned makeover of our frontyard. The ground is clay with mulch on top, variable height and sloping to the front a bit. 

Our plan is three way

1. Lay pavers on the left hand side where the bins are kept currently to cover that rectangle space till front edge of the building. 

2. Lay the modular good times deck will need five sets where the front flower bed is infront of the windows. 

3. Eventually lay turf to the space in the front. 

I have done a bit of reading and searched the forum for the hows of the above.

Question 1 Regarding preparing the ground for paver and deck? we plan to lay some sand then road base to level the area then builders film all with slight slopes away from the house.

Q-2 Any other advice on any obvious things we need to look out for that might be crucial for the project.  

We are complete newbies DIYing but love the idea of doing it ourselves, So any advice will be appreciated. 

Thanks Guys. 

IMG_7639 (1).jpgIMG_7638 (1).jpgIMG_7637 (1).jpgIMG_7636 (1).jpg

Re: How to prepare ground for pavers, deck and lawn for frontyard makeover?

Hello Eric and Valued team. 

@EricL @MitchellMc 

Sorry for the delayed upload but amongst the weather and time on the weekends w ehave finally acheveid what we set out for. It has the imperfections of begginer DIYer but there is a charm to it as well and bragging rights. 

Shoutout to my Father in Law who helped as well. 

I think the total cost for raw material was around $3000. 

IMG_2323 Large.jpegIMG_2394 Small.jpegIMG_2723 Small.jpegIMG_2735 Large 2.jpegIMG_8006 Large.jpegIMG_8031 Large.jpegIMG_8032 Large.jpegIMG_8060 Small.jpegIMG_8458 Small.jpegIMG_8459 Large.jpegIMG_8533 Large.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sensational work @Apoorv_S! That deck has come up a treat! I'm sure you are just thrilled with the results.

It looks like the front of your house and deck see a fair bit of sun. The decking looks ready for a lick of Merbau decking oil. It will only take you 15mins to apply it with an applicator, and the deck will not only be protected from the elements but look amazing.

Many thanks for sharing your results. I can't wait to see what you tackle next; got any small jobs that you've been putting off that you'd like to complete over Fix-it Feb?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Apoorv_S,

Hope all is well.

Our team is interested in turning your handiwork into a Featured Project on the site as we're sure it would help and inspire other community members. 

Do you have any updated photos of how your front yard is looking now? 

Many thanks,

Jason

Thanks for asking Jason. I would be happy to help. I need to give it a bit of decking oil currently. But will add some photos now as well. 

IMG_6195.jpeg

IMG_6196.jpeg

IMG_6194.jpeg

IMG_6193.jpeg

   

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Apoorv_S 

Thank you very much for that update. The deck looks to be in good condition, but I agree with your proposal that it needs to be oiled again.  

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects