Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect my deck from dog urine?

srm99
Just Starting Out

How to protect my deck from dog urine?

Hi everyone 

Just sanded my deck and recoated was awsome for about a week as have a nervous dog and sometimes pees on the deck . 

Last coating similar thing happened.  This time I used Cabot's ultra coating using all prep washing.  Bit as you can see it didn't last long with a dog . Is there a sealer that can protect on top of Cabot's as will be in this situation again . 

20221004_171532.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to protect my deck from dog urine?

Hi @srm99,

First, let me welcome you the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome to have you join us and ask your question about how to protect your deck. Our resident DIY guru @MitchellMc will be back online tomorrow and might have more suggestions, but check out his response to Best decking that resists dog urine question from @tpb where he suggested oiling the deck.  

Did you need assistance with removing the dark stains created by the urine?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect my deck from dog urine?

Hello @srm99

Thanks for sharing your question about your recoated deck. Would it be possible for you to please tell us the exact type of Cabot's product you used? Was it the oil-based or water-based one you used on your deck? Once we know what product you used I'll be able to offer you a recommendation on what sealer you can use on your deck. This type of reaction often happens when the stain has not adequately cured and is exposed to rain or dog pee. One way to deter your dog from peeing in the same spot is to use Multicrop 750ml Keep Off Dog and Cat Repellent. I suggest spraying it on the furniture legs and the areas they often wee in. 

It's best to encourage the dog to pee in the garden so your deck will have time to dry up and prevent the stain from happening again. I also suggest looking at the Paw Mate Pet Dog Potty Tray Training Toilet 69cm x 43cm + 1 Grass Mat. If your dog does not want to go down into the garden, you can try to encourage them to use this pee pad instead of staining your deck.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects