Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to rejuvenate my new Sir Walter Buffalo turf?

concettina
Finding My Feet

How to rejuvenate my new Sir Walter Buffalo turf?

Hi! 
At the end of April 2023 my sir Walter buffalo was laid. I was told to apply No. 17 fertiliser 6 weeks after to assist with the grass joining. Due to many of life’s interruptions, I didn’t do this. As we moved into winter, of course not the ideal time for new grass to take and grow. You can still see the lines of where the grass was laid. But my main concern now is the many weeds I have. Nutgrass, clover you name it, I’ve got it. At the start I’d pull them out but it’s got out of hand. Weeds haven’t completely taken over the lawn but it needs a lot of love and care. From advice given at my local Bunnings; I’ve waited till mid August to begin the treatment. I’ve just applied Yates Buffalo Pro Weed n Feed ( hose on). What are my next steps to take in the rejuvenation of my lawn and getting rid of the weeds? I was told to apply a fertiliser after doing the weed n feed. But I’m reading online that weed n feed isn’t very helpful.  The lawn has never been cut either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Very new to house ownership and gardening! Willing to buy anything to assist my lawns! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: new Grass needing help

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @concettina. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lawn rejuvenation.

If you've just sprayed Yates 2.4L BuffaloPro Weed 'n' Feed Hose On Weed Killer, then that's going to take care of the broadleaf weeds like dandelion and clover, but weeds with thin-bladed leaves like nutgrass will require direct poisoning with weed killer. I recommend you grab some Yates 250mL Zero Triple Strike Garden Weedkiller Concentrate and a Yates Zero Weeding Herbicide Applicator Brush so you can easily apply the weedkiller to the blades of the nutgrass and not the surrounding grass. Alternatively, this Yates 200ml Zero Rapid Gel 1 Hour Action Weed Killer is quite handy for applying weedkiller directly to the target weeds.

I do not recommend you do a separate lawn feed as the Weed 'n' Feed contained one; you've already fertilised. If you wanted to, you could do a feed with an organic product like Yates 5kg Dynamic Lifter Lawn Food, but stick away from any chemical fertilisers until at least mid-spring.

Since you're new to gardening and lawns, check out these helpful guides: How to detect lawn problems and How to repair a lawn. Also, check out our Best Advice article on What are your tips for keeping your lawn healthy?

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Would you recommend applying the Yates dynamic lawn lifter straight after spot treating the weeds using the one you recommended? 

how often can the weed killer be applied as well as the lawn lifter 

Since you've already applied a fertiliser, I see no reason why you should apply another one @concettina. Dynamic lifter lawn food is designed to be applied once in early spring and then again in early autumn. That would be if it's being used as a standalone fertiliser. 

Any selective weed killer like the Weed 'n' Feed Hose On applied to a lawn stresses it, so it's best only to apply when necessary. You might need to do a follow-up in 3-4 weeks if some of the weeds haven't died off by then. You can spot-treat weeds whenever necessary but do not get it on the surrounding grass.

It's important to remember that once you've fertilised, adding more fertiliser doesn't make it work any better. In many cases, it can cause damage to the lawn.

Mitchell

David8
Finding My Feet

Re: How to rejuvenate my new Sir Walter Buffalo turf?

Hello @concettina

Similar problem, rolled S/W/B Turf very early November 2023. Supplier also delivered so I picked his brain for hints, he was very helpful! I was told to fertilize after one week with

(#1) "Eco Prime Emerald" fertilizer, as it is a very mild and amounts of "Urea" (if watered well while in it's juvenile state) Do not lay with gaps between rows.

(#2) Most soils are Hydro Phobic so "wettasoil" is required so as to reduce lighter spots in the turf (Hydro Phobic areas) He suggested "Aqua Wetta" granules across the entire lawn. (I watered it in heavily, after a few weeks I did it again)

(#3) Applied with a hand held 3kg "Fertilizer Spreader" so as to get an even distribution, and water 3 times a day for the Water Authorities 6 week watering exemption period. (You "MUST" apply for this)

My partner was watering midday's while I was at work, after about 10 days my partner was called away to the city for about 4-5weeks. No midday water's. After the first week fertilizing (I may have slightly over done the fertilizing, extra hot weather, extra hot 40+kph and no mid day watering and the lawn burnt.

I contacted the supplier and told him what happened, the massive massive amounts of water i was putting on, and he said to just keep doing what you are doing and it will come back and now it actually is (it will start looking really good by late autum), I'm doing 1.5hrs. watering a day since last November (Huge, Huge water).

I am constantly extracting 3-5 weeds a week. (Stay on top of it and you will end up with a beautiful lawn)

I wish you the best!

Regards David

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@David8,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden or have something to share with other members.

Jason

This was so helpful @David8 @thank you! 

I did begin to water it two times a day and this made a dramatic difference! 

could I ask of all three of those suggestions above , did you apply them all or are they options on what could assist the lawn? 

atm I’ve got a fair few low points/ dips so

we’re working on filling those in. Weeds have calmed thank goodness  after two applications of weed n feed. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects