Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove an oil stain from a concrete driveway?

Jeannie1
Just Starting Out

How to remove an oil stain from a concrete driveway?

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo.  I want to remove a car oil stain from a concrete driveway.  The cheapest way possible please.  It happened when oil was being changed in my car.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stain removal

Hello @Jeannie1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about removing oil stains on driveways.

If the oil stain has been on your driveway just recently, I suggest using Valvoline 22l Ultrazorb Absorbent Granules to get maximum absorption of the spilled oil. However, if the oil has been cleaned up, I suggest using Richgro 20kg Play Sand. Rub the sand onto the affected area to further remove any surface oil that might still be there. Once you have cleaned it up, use CLR 750ml Oil And Grease Remover. Please follow the instructions carefully at the back of the bottle.

After using the CLR you may also use a pressure washer to remove the stain. Using dishwashing soap and a stiff brush helps with breaking down the oil.

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @tom_builds for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Stain removal

Hi  @Jeannie1

I agree with .@EricL

You could also try WD40 and baking soda too.

Joe

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects