Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove cement from concrete driveway?

ihavenews0cks
Getting Established

How to remove cement from concrete driveway?

CB0FC9DF-724D-41C3-989A-589812A2EC3E.jpeg

When the fencers installed our fence, they left big chunks of cement on our driveway. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to get it off with the driveway also being cement?

The attached image is one of the smaller sections left behind. (Hard to see in the image, but each of the sections is quite raised, so even just painting over wouldn’t solve the issue.)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove cement from concrete driveway?

When was the fence done @ihavenews0cks? It's always best to try and remove cement as soon as possible and preferably before it has fully hardened.

If it was spilled there within the last day, I'd recommend starting with a stiff bristle scrubbing brush and hot soapy water. Alternatively, try a high pressure washer. Failing that, you'd need to resort to either Chemtech 1L Brick Tile And Paver Cleaner or Bondall 1L Hydrochloric Acid. With either of these products, ensure you wear appropriate PPE including a respirator, safety eyewear, and long sleeve pants and shirt.

The issue with using the above two products is that if they do work, they're likely to clean the cement underneath and leave patches. You might need to give the whole surface a good clean down to blend it in.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

It’s over a year old. Only recently have we gotten to the more intricate jobs around the new build.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ihavenews0cks

Aside from the fantastic suggestions that @MitchellMc has given, the only other recommendation I can offer is to use a Trojan 5x15 Row Stainless Steel Wire Brush to mechanically strip the surface of the concrete. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks @MitchellMc @EricL 

kel
Making a Splash

hi @ihavenews0cks 

if the suggestions from the guys doesn't remove the problem,then i would grab an angle grinder and use a grinding disc.may sound extreme ,but with a bit of care you will be able to level the surface and then perhaps with a wire brush on the angle grinderyou maybe able to then blend the surface into te surrounding surface,

cheers kel

Use a concrete remover 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Paulhasenkam

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @ihavenews0cks to make them aware of your suggestion. As another option, the Bunnings equivalent is called Builders Edge 750ml Cement 'N' Concrete Remover. It works on aluminium frames/windows, glass, Colorbond, machinery, hand tools, concrete and brickwork. It sounds like you have experience working with concrete. Do you have any projects currently on the go? Any updates you can share about what you're building would be much appreciated.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with the community.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects