Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove moss growing between bricks?

ellis
Growing in Experience

How to remove moss growing between bricks?

Hi, 

Could you give me any advice in getting rid of moss embedded between bricks on my driveway .

This has been a long standing problem despite attempts at removal.

Thanks in advance, Ellis

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Moss removal

Hi @ellis,

Do you have a high-pressure cleaner? That would likely be the easiest way to remove the moss; you'd just blast it out of the crevices. The only other methods of removal I can think of would be with hand tools which would be extremely tedious.

Once you've removed the moss, you can fill the gap with a mix of sand and some cement (5:1), which will inhibit moss from taking root. You'll still need to clean your drive every six months to prevent it from taking hold again. You can also try using Manutec 2.5kg Moss Killer and Lawn Food, as it will kill moss. It won't remove it for you, though.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to remove moss growing between bricks?

Hi @ellis 

This is a very common problem that many of us gardeners have to tackle. As @MitchellMc  has suggested you can physically remove it and this does work well. But it can be an on-going problem. One of the problems with physical removal though is the potential for new weeds to come in where you removed the old ones, especially where you take away clumps of sand in-between the bricks/pavers. 

There are some herbicides that will kill mosses as well. I have used this Slasher product and combined it with a once-a-year path weeder to get additional long-term protection. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/eco-organic-garden-1l-slasher-organic-weedkiller-concentrate_p2962229 

Yates 1L Path Weeder Concentrate - Bunnings Australia

All of these things will work quicker in the warmer weather so just expect it to take a bit longer to work in the cooler months. 

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Neither moss nor weeds like vinegar!  I have both and generic brand vinegar works like a dream!  I pour it on neat.  

It's a bit time consuming but cost effective.  Only use vinegar  in this manner on paved / tiled areas.  It can alter the soil pH and your beautiful plants will likely die 😱😪

Another alternative is to somehow deprive them of light.   Depending on the size of the area this can be expensive.  Laying down builders plastic underneath the bricks or tiles will stop any weeds or mosses.

ellis
Growing in Experience

Hi 

Thanks for the Suggestions I will give them a try.

Regards Ellis.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @ellis, and please reach out if you need further assistance; we're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Catnipmanor1234
Cultivating a Following

Hello. I don't get on my hands and knees to scrape out the moss, nor do I use a high pressure washer (I just end up totally filthy-the pressure washer I've got is an industrial one, and is extremely heavy and difficult to move around particularly when I have a few different levels to do). My solution for moss, and other weeds is - for example - 1 container of cleaning vinegar - abt. 2 litres, a handful of dissolved salt (I use boiling water, though not too much water), and a good glug of either dishwashing liquid or liquid laundry detergent. I do it when the sun is shining, as the sun help to burn the moss/weeds, and the detergent smothers the leaves. Though perhaps your moss is in a shady area?  If it's safe to do so, can you use swimming pool chlorine, or just bleach - put in a watering can, and use that way. But if you do use bleach, etc. be careful of your clothes. I've got quite a few pair of black leggings, with big white bleach spots on them! Gabrielle.🦄

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects