Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove rust on aluminium poles?

Needhelp3
Finding My Feet

How to remove rust on aluminium poles?

Our outdoor aluminium poles have surface rust, what the best way to remove it/clean it with? Do I need a primer if so what do I use? 

image.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to remove rust on alumium poles

When it comes to rust that is for steel posts.

Do you have a power sander or grinder?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Needhelp3. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing rust.

As @Brad has mentioned, if the posts are rusting, they are more likely to be steel than aluminium. Aluminium corrodes, but it doesn't rust. He's also probably alluding to the fact that as this rust doesn't appear to be too prolific, you could strip the area back with a sander and 40-80Grit sandpaper. Whilst you are there, you might as well remove any of that deteriorated paint that is flaking off. Alternatively, if you really felt inclined, you could strip all the paint off with a paint stripper before removing the rust and re-painting. That would be a bit of a job, though.

Once done and if there are only minimal traces of rust left, you can coat over them with White Knight Rust Guard Medium Grey Metal Primer Paint. When the primer is dry, you can add your topcoat.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

yes i do

Thank you, yes they are steel, after the top coat can I paint it? 

Hi, yes I do have a grinder and a sander. I'm guessing it will be a bit of work for me.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Needhelp3

Following @MitchellMc's recommendation, once you've stripped and primed the post, I suggest painting it with White Knight 1L White Gloss Rust Guard Quick Dry Advanced Enamel Paint tinted to your desired colour. The White Knight Rust Guard paint comes in several finishes so please choose accordingly.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your steel posts refreshed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks you so much for your help

Keep us updated @Needhelp3 and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Mario51
Getting Established

Re: How to remove rust on aluminium poles?

I well they can’t be aluminium poles. Aluminium does not rust. Anyway again good scrub with wire brush. Or you can use a grinder to remove rust. Prep cost and give s good paint with Kill rust. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects