Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove tree sap from pavers?

Denise66
Getting Established

How to remove tree sap from pavers?

How can I remove sap from a maple tree off my paving? I had the tree trimmed and the branches were on the paving for a brief moment and stained them.

E08074F4-C39E-4DB5-A128-43623A0BEFA2.jpeg

3B075998-C2CC-4CEB-882F-CF535022F7F3.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove tree sap from pavers?

Hello @Denise66

There are a few chemicals you can use to remove sap from your pavers. I recommend using WD40 or Isopropyl alcohol, these two chemicals break down the tree saps composition allowing you to use very hot soapy water in combination with a stiff bristle brush. Please make sure to give the chemicals enough time to work before using the hot soapy water. Several applications will be required for tougher stains.

For stubborn tree stains, you can use paint thinner in combination with hot soapy water and a brush. However, please be warned that using this chemical produces a bleaching effect and will wash away the colour in your pavers. I suggest testing it in a hidden spot before you try it on an actual stain. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @prettyliving for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your pavers clean and stain free.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Denise66
Getting Established

Re: How to remove tree sap from pavers?

Thank you Eric, I’ll give it a try. I tried CLR and it’s faded it a bit so fingers crossed 🤞 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects