Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renew the main entrance door

Maymay
Building a Reputation

How to renew the main entrance door

Hi sir

My main entrance door need to be repainted so do I need to sand before paint? What sort of the paint do I use?
Thank you

Best regards 

Maymay 47108AC8-6650-4332-B1D8-6EB82A2B3356.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to renew the main entrance door

Hi @Maymay,

The product Rust-Oleum 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker is the best thing to use before painting if you don't want to sand the varnish. I would then recommend using Dulux Aquanamel Enamel Paint for the finishing coat.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

Thank you for the advice, if I want to keep the original wood colour and may be glossed and shiny, what sort of paint do I use ? 
Regards

Maymay 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maymay

Can I please clarify if you want to paint the door a different colour or you would like a clear coating to enhance the timber and make it glossy?

It sounds like you might want to recoat the timber with a clear to keep the original wood colour. If so, the product Feast Watson Weatherproof Gloss Clear Timber Varnish would be suitable. Before applying this coating you might like to sand with Flexovit 400 Grit Surface Sanding Sheets any rough or damaged areas so they are smooth. You could also give the whole door a light sanding which will assist with the new coat sticking.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Mitchell

Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

I would like to keep the wood colour, the door looks old, after I sand I worry it will fade the colour, should I still use the Gloss Clear Timber Vanish, or use the Gloss timber colour ? the door is not flat, I can’t use the roller, do I need a specific brush to paint 

Thank you 

best regards 
Maymay

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Maymay,

If the door does fade after you sand it then it would be a good idea to use a stain and varnish to restore the colour. Here's the Cabot's colour chart to see what colours are available. You don't need to sand the door right back to bare timber. Just a light sanding over the entire door will be fine.

Any good quality synthetic filament brush would be fine to use. I can suggest something like the Monarch 63mm All Purpose Synthetic Wall Paint Brush would be a great choice.

Mitchell

Maymay
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

sorry about the late update my front door repainting, it is done

Thank you for your advice

best regards

Maymay 

B8A3BFF8-BAFF-439A-9819-D45D84F85D3B.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @Maymay. Many thanks for letting us know. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share with the community.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects