Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate a caravan?

michelekeane74
Growing in Experience

How to renovate a caravan?

1000002823.jpg

1000002824.jpg

  

1000002825.jpg

1000002826.jpg

1000002827.jpg

I am renovating a caravan for my teenage son. I have never renovated anything so have no idea. I have ripped out half the caravan and have found some floor damage. I'm happy to do whatever it takes to get it right. I just want to know if when replacing and finishing do I do the floor or walls first. As I was removing damaged walls I noticed that they go under the floor... Which would be easier. And what material would I use to replace floors and walls. Any help would be appreciated. 

Re: update

The length of a caravan is often referred to by its floor length so an 18ft caravan would be approx 18ft floor or 5.5m, they're also often either 7ft or 8ft wide so ideally you'd lay the plywood across the van, making sure the joins are supported by the chassis. Plywood sheets are 2.4x1.2 so you'd need 5 sheets and have a bit left over. 

Depending on the age of your caravan, you may have noticed it was originally one large piece with no joins and would've been laid before the caravan was built on top. As you can see from the below ad, even though the ply looks raw, it did have a protective weathershield. 
 one piece floor2.jpg

Instagram @twocutekelpies

It's great to see that @twocutekelpies has already provided a helpful answer, @michelekeane74

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

floor down

So have laid the first layer of floor and will do the second layer next weekend ☺️. 

Re: floor down

Fantastic work @michelekeane74! That's looking great.

Many thanks for the update. I can't wait for the next one.

Mitchell

michelekeane74
Growing in Experience

update

So lining the walls with 3mm is a lot harder than we thought. Well it's more time consuming with cutting the windows and holes for light fixtures and PowerPoints in.  Awkward and frustrating so it will be a slow process. So far have spent 700$ on supplies and all from Bunnings. It's an after work trip on Friday nights, as we live an hour away, so we can get stuck in on Saturday morning. Hopefully will have updated pic next weekend. 😊😊

michelekeane74
Growing in Experience

help

What would we use to fill the gaps between the plywood on the walls?

Great work, @michelekeane74. I'm living vicariously through you, as renovating a caravan has been a dream of mine for many years. Just remember, if projects like these were easy, you wouldn't experience the overwhelming euphoria of completion.

For the wall panels joints, I'd suggest using a flexible and paintable gap filler such as Polyfilla 475g P10 Gap Filler.

Mitchell

Sorry to disagree Mitchell but there's just too much flex in a caravan for gap filla, it has a tendency to crack and/or fall out. 3mm wet panels joiners are great for covering joins, corners etc, although not as great as they used to be since they've made them smaller and shallower, less room for error but still ok for making tidy joins. Variety of joiners available here  https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=wall%20art%20joiner 

You can see in the below pic, I've used internal corner between ceiling and wall, external corner around the cupboard, joiner between ply sheets above the door and capping around the door and where the cupboard meets the wall and ceiling.  

IMG_20190829_132829_resized_20190830_124027395.jpg

Do you have a trim router? Using a trim bit with the ball bearing on it, these are great for tracing out the windows nice and neatly. 

router action.jpg

And then to cover the edge of the window frame, you can get flexible camec window moulding from most caravan repair places. Unfortunately, the plastic angle that Bunnings has is quite stiff and not the right size. 

IMG_20190520_131247_resized_20190530_060008791.jpg

Prior to putting up your wall panels, have you thought about where you're going to attach your cabinetry? I like to add noggins in my frame to give more anchor points to screw into. Cabinetry was originally screwed/stapled in from outside before the cladding went on, without being able to do that again, you're limited to only being able to attach to minimal frame, hence adding noggins out of either pine or meranti. 

IMG_20190309_120420_resized_20190309_045506238.jpg

Hope the above helps. 

Shelley

Instagram @twocutekelpies

So the polyfilla can be sanded? 

I thought about the joiners but wasn't sure I would like the look of it after painting. Because we are new to this we have a lot of joins as we found it easier to cut the 2400mm sheets in half to make the job a tad bit easier. So we were hoping there was some sort of filler that can be sanded smooth so after painting it will (fingers eyes and legs crossed) hide the fact that we have a lot of joins. Especially around the ends where it was hard to work with the big sheets.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects