Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint concrete porch?

jhb
Growing in Experience

How to repaint concrete porch?

Hi,

I’m repainting this porch. Old and couple layers of paint. 

I have limited resources so diy’ing.

I’ve high pressure hosed it, up to the de-flaking loose paint and sanding it back with hand 120grit sander. I’ll give it a good go-2days.

then I’ll Berger Active Clean it and ain’t with white knight Ultra Pave quick dry 2x coats. 

1- image shows close up spot where I’ve sanded de-flaked. 

2- image 2 is the area I haven’t sanded yet.

3- is the tools etc. 

Question- is this approach enough? I’ve read another post that said wouldn’t recommend belt sander /paint stripper too much labour. But I’m worried about it peeling /looking bad. I don’t really have means to belt sand.

thanks!

7A3B3C23-B39A-4F1E-9616-F0AD108FA39C.jpeg

E359D3B6-3021-47CE-B536-96AC5A3198DD.jpeg

93DF032F-6EA8-4875-B519-FD1C0A00B36C.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Re-painting old painted concrete porch

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jhb. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about applying concrete paint.

When determining whether your current efforts will suffice, it's essential to remember these concrete paint products are specifically designed for application on bare concrete or a previously painted surface that is in good condition. To the best of my knowledge, the Rustoluem concrete paint is the only option suitable for a deteriorated painted surface, albeit with limited colour choices. Other brands do not provide a warranty for their products on this type of surface due to the risk of potential delamination and subsequent peeling.

Based on my personal experience and other members' successful endeavours, I believe the paint will adhere perfectly fine. However, the durability of these coatings can only be determined with the passage of time.

I recommend gently running your fingers over the sanded areas. If you cannot detect any noticeable transition between the residual paint and the underlying substrate, chances are you won't perceive any inconsistencies when applying the topcoat. However, I suggest further sanding if you can still feel the painted sections. Just remember to prioritize your safety by wearing a face mask and safety glasses during the process.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions. We're here to assist you every step of the way.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jhb
Growing in Experience

Hello, thanks for your response! Ok sounds good I think I’ll stick with the plan and just make sure I prep well. 

Few final questions- 

Should I use a primer? I was advised it wasn’t necessary as I’m prepping/active cleaning it, but keen to hear if there’s one I should use. 

It’s tipped to lightly rain in 3. 5 days. I’ll be active cleaning with water hose down tomorrow, then painting 24hrs after. It’s undercover so I’ll chuck some plastic on the edges 24 hours after that to keep dry. Is this ok timeframes or should I wait longer in between, and longer to paint - in a week or so when there’s no rain.

Cheers 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Typically there is no primer used with the White Knight Ultra Pave @jhb, so there is not one that I could suggest. It sounds like you are doing a good job at sanding the surface and etching so that should suffice.

I'd recommend cleaning and then waiting until after the rain for the painting. You could get it all done before the rain, but it adds another level of stress to the project. Having the paint trying to cure in a wet environment is not ideal due to the amount of moisture in the air.

Mitchell

jhb
Growing in Experience

Ok thanks- I finished two days of sanding and de-flaking today then active cleaned it and pressure hosed it down again. I was going to paint tomorrow morning, then it’s tipped to rain lightly 36 hours later, followed by no rain for a few days.but if this is no good I’ll wait until there’s a period of no rain for longer. 

is it ok to wait given I active cleaned it today? Is dirt/foot traffic ok for up to a week ? Or should I active clean it again a day before painting? 

Sorry for the questions, I’ve searched online but can’t find this particular circumstance. Very much appreciate your advice!

cheers 

jhb
Growing in Experience

Oh yeah I forgot- last one - if it rains for the next 2 or 3 weeks, and I wait to paint until after, can I just sweep /vac the surface then paint or should I need to active clean/wash again. 
thanks!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You won't need to active clean again, but if the area becomes dirty, it might be an idea to give it a quick wash down @jhb.

Mitchell

jhb
Growing in Experience

Hello! It’s taken this long to get a week without rain. I originally did this post in May it’s now end of September- do I need to sand/ active clean again? 
alao how long should I wait between spraying it down and painting 

thank you for your advice!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @jhb 

Ive been redoing my patio and ran into the same issue with what to paint/what type of paint and how to paint even.

I havnt posted that part of the project yet but my paint job has turned out nicely with a couple of minor issues. 

I looked into the types of Bunnings paint for concrete and paint from outside Bunnings. I ended up going with an industrial paint by Nutech. (Both Bunnings and Nutech would be about the same price tho the difference was a multistage process (Bunnings) or just a recoat (Nutech). I ended up with 10L of paint of which I used maybe a Third with two coats. It really doesnt look like it needs a third coat.

My patio looks pretty much like yours, instead of sanding I used a wire brush attachment to my drill to get rid of any leftover bits of flaky paint.

The one issue that showed up was the new paint over the old paint seemed to lift the old paint in some areas. I had three patchs of new paint lift, easily fixed with a paint scraper and for some spots I wasnt sure if I had brushed it with the wire brush so cannot say 100%

The paint went on easily enough and really seemed to penetrate the non painted surface well. The painted sections came up nice. The recomendations was a totally dry surface, between 10-30deg C and no rain plus not earl in the day or late due to potential dew.

Nutech Pavecoat after rain.jpgNutech Pavecoat paint 10L.jpg

It rained about 3 days after the painting, I did the coats a day apart and prob pushed it closely to the 30deg upper limit. The rain beaded nicely and the surface is not slippery at all. 

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jhb,

Active clean is really for tough stains from oil and grease. Nothing would have changed on the patio in that time, but you'll need to give it a wash down to remove any contaminants that have built up over that period. If you are happy with the appearance and smoothness after the original sanding you can proceed with painting after cleaning.

The surface must be completely dry before painting, so best to wait for a few days of warm weather to dry it out before painting.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects