Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace decayed decking?

smhasnain
Growing in Experience

How to replace decayed decking?

We intend to replace decking about 12 meter sq. Photos attached. 
please let us know if your are running any related weekend workshops in Broadmeadows/Craigiebun bunnjngs. Ali looking for some videos that could suggest us material and tools required to complete DIY task. Thank you. 

F372FFF2-2414-430B-A963-D501235C6208.jpeg

77937768-0590-4F42-975F-7578FF7A5DBD.jpeg

10F4C51C-C760-41F3-90C5-0C62FC0B8F0F.jpeg

MrSober
Building a Reputation

Re: Replacing Decking

I would assume this bucket of Betta cemseal would have been sitting on the shelf for an extended period of time hence the discount, these usually have an expiry date or something marked somewhere. It could be that is just needs a good stir but maybe if something feels too solid it would be best to just return.

I would also recommend a product like this to put on the top of the joists before laying the decking boards down. https://www.bunnings.com.au/protectadeck-45mm-x-50m-flexible-pvc-joist_p0910783 As it looks like that step for one would be prone to copping alot of rain, there are other styles that are cheaper like a type of tape etc. Could be worth also seeing if the frame can be raised a little more off the ground if it is in direct contact with the soil and concrete.

smhasnain
Growing in Experience

Hi,

Thank you for providing me a continuous and great support and timely advice. My apologies, I would have a couple of questions below:

(1) I will use Protectadeck material between the deck and joist in front step area as suggested.  Do I require to use liquid nail or just nails to secure Protractadeck material between the deck and joist. I intend to raise the frame just <1cm from the concrete. In this new setup, do I still need to cover bottom frame in the step area with Bitumen as advised before or no need for bitumen. 
(2) I have attached a couple of photos, to demonstrate the condition of joist of the rest of the decking area. Do you suggest, I must change all the joist in that area or they will be okay. If you suggest to change all joists then please advise how I can remove joist hangers between the joist and beam, so joist can be replaced. What type of timber and its dimension for joist i would require to use. 
(3) Do you suggest to change 5 front timber footings/supports
(4) Any other advice would be highly appreciated for economical way out for laying down this deck. 

Much appreciated. 
Syed382A6DCB-3DE1-4704-8ECE-0D02C5D25357.jpeg

C3F7647B-FD03-4A83-B687-08063EB68981.jpeg

F528CC1D-DE09-4CF9-ACAE-0B8D7FBD9A3F.jpeg

B4B703C0-A11A-4E4D-8393-44532B1E4C1E.jpeg

302434BD-779F-4B49-A28E-572C6BB982EF.jpeg

D0A3D0BD-C9E4-4550-A8D2-078AAE6BE611.jpeg

6B39017B-09A9-4F25-A5FA-C5053FF6CD7C.jpeg

51099532-F84C-4883-9BBA-9B85A52ED85F.jpeg

Hi @smhasnain,

I think the timber is borderline needing to be replaced. There is a certain amount of weathering, and this will only continue to get worse over time. If you're going to the expense of installing new decking, then it would make sense to fix it over new framing and joists. With the decking removed, now is the time to consider whether you'd like the new deck to last 5-10 years or more than ten years. There are signs of weathering but no obvious areas of decay. If there was decay, then I'd 100% recommend you replace the timber now.

To remove the current joists, you'd cut through them in the middle and use them to lever the Pryda nail fixtures off. If they are stubborn, you can use a prybar to remove them. It appears that 90 x 45mm H3 Pine has been used, and I'd stick with that for replacement.

Protectadeck is installed by laying it over the joists and stapling it into position.

Adding bitumen paint to the underside of timber, whether it's raised or not, is of benefit. The closer the timber is to the ground, the more important it is to coat the underside.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MrSober
Building a Reputation

Would agree seeing you are already at this point it would be easier to replace now than at some point having to pull all the decking boards back up and replace at a later date. But if money or time is a factor you could leave it all open like this for awhile to try and get it all as dry as possible, see how your levels look etc as you may have to plane the tops a bit if they are warped. You could then use the same bitumen  stuff on them to help keep the moister out.

Is it worth putting something down on top of the soil to lesson the moisture rising?

smhasnain
Growing in Experience

Hi, 

i have installed ~ 12 meter square surface area new Merbau deck, 3 months ago. Please refer uploaded images. 
i would like to know the following:

(1) Is it right time to apply either oil or stain? Which one is preferable and dconomical

B9CF0B2B-94E7-4692-AC04-1EB2FC1EAD63.jpeg

4072DEAC-4094-4818-A8C8-896807989F0D.jpeg

either oil or stain?

(2) how should I prepare new 3 months old deck, before any applications?

(3) what essential tools and material (quantity), i need to buy from bunnings to complete this project. 
(4) How soon i can walk on the deck after  proposed applications.

Thank you. 

smhasnain
Growing in Experience

Can i please get some advice from Bunnings on my previously posted questions regading oiling the new deck. Thank you  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @smhasnain 

Your deck looks very well-seasoned and it's just about the right time to oil it. The general steps are to clean the surface of the deck with Cabot's 1L Deck Clean or similar in combination with an Oates Long Handle Deck Scrub Brush. If you're going to use a pressure washer, just make sure that you have it at its lowest setting to prevent splintering the surface of the decking panel. Once the deck has been properly cleaned and is totally dry you can then begin oiling the surface.  

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

A good example of a decking oil is Cabot's 4L Merbau Aquadeck Exterior Decking Oil. It is a highly durable, low odour decking oil that provides exceptional durability to all exterior surfaces and lasts twice as long as traditional decking oils. Aquadeck's advanced dual technology allows natural oils to penetrate and nourish timber, creating a durable acrylic barrier for a beautiful natural finish. It is ideal for use on decks, garden furniture, pergolas, fences and gates.

One factor that greatly affects drying time is the weather. The colder it is the longer it will take the surface to dry off. In ideal weather conditions the surface should be touch dry in 4 to 6 hours, it should be safe to walk on in 12 hours and you can put your furniture back in 24 hours. However, this will depend on the prevailing weather as I mentioned. 

I propose using your best judgement and if it still looks soft or wet, I suggest using another entrance for the meantime until the surface is dry and solid. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

smhasnain
Growing in Experience

Thank you. 
Does 1L Deck Clean and 4L Aquadeck will be sufficient to cover 12 meter square area?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @smhasnain 

The Cabot's 1L Deck Clean is rated to cover 10 square meters. If applied judiciously, you should be able to extend it and cover the remaining extra two square meters. The Cabot's 4L Merbau Aquadeck Exterior Decking Oil is rated to cover 24 square meters with two coats. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects