Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace gutter / pergola converge downpipe elbow connector?

terrywang
Building a Reputation

How to replace gutter / pergola converge downpipe elbow connector?

Hi all,

It's been a while since my last post :wink:

We have a pergola with old school box gutter (some tradie inspected that and called it that) which connects to the house' main gutter downpipe via an Elbow like connector, it started leaking when east coast started to have relentless rainfall levels since late 2019.

I have tried to use different kind of sealant (Selleys Storm Sealant, and clear silicone sealant, etc.), it worked for a while but didn't fix the problem as some angle is hard to reach. Tried to get a repair quote on hipages (no response, too small job?) with no luck, decided to research and DIY.

What is a proper way to potentially replace this elbow (consider it a temporary solution as the pergola will be demolished and rebuilt next year)? What kind of materials do I need to get this done, thanks in advance for any input, thanks!

IMG_7245.jpg

IMG_7244.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace gutter / pergola converge downpipe elbow connector?

Afternoon @terrywang 

"It's been a while since my last post Noyade_0-1658982841629.png"

That sounds like a confession Terry! 😁

Is there much wriggle room between the box gutter and the eaves above it?

"consider it a temporary solution as the pergola will be demolished and rebuilt next year"

In that case my thought would be to remove the elbow completely and a run a PVC pipe down to the ground - until you tear everything down?

downpipe.PNG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @terrywang

Thank you for sharing your question about replacing the downpipe in your pergola. Depending on the size of the pipe I suggest using two 45-degree bends to accommodate the unusual bend in the downpipe. I recommend removing the bend and bringing it to the store so that you can compare sizes and angles.

I also suggest measuring the diameter of the round pipe that's been connected to your rectangular downpipe. I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of what the assembly might look like. I recommend using standard PVC fittings ( grey pipe ) and don't use the white pressure pipe fittings as these are for swimming pool applications only.

Make sure to use Protek 125ml Type N Blue Cement Solvent to join the pipes together and to seal the top area with your remaining Selleys storm silicone sealant. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
terrywang
Building a Reputation

Is there much wriggle room between the box gutter and the eaves above it?

> Not much, and it's hard to get to (not much visibility unless using a cam).

In that case my thought would be to remove the elbow completely and a run a PVC pipe down to the ground - until you tear everything down?

> Good idea. I was considering some sort of soft pipe (like what we use for wash machines or tumble dryer lol). I'll do some research and see if I can work out a solution (must be ugly if I do it...).

terrywang
Building a Reputation

Thank you Eric, for the professional answer.

I'll have to do some homework, measuring and YouTube watching to figure things about. Will come back if I have more questions.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @terrywang

I'm glad you found our suggestions helpful. Please make sure to post an update, I'm sure our members will be keen to see how you plan on repairing your downpipe.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects