Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace wire on flyscreen door?

Anne4
Just Starting Out

How to replace wire on flyscreen door?

Hi.. how to rewire Screen Door .without taking off hinges..

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Flywire Door Screen

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Anne4. It's wonderful that you've decided to join us, and many thanks for your question about re-screening your door.

If you could add some images of your screen door, it would help our knowledgeable members provide some helpful advice. 

You'll find it slightly more tricky to insert a new screen on a door in the vertical position than if you were to lay it flat. However, it is possible if you take your time with it. Is the rubber spline that runs around the perimeter of the screen accessible? If so, the first step would be removing it to allow the screen to be taken out. You'll then be able to follow this helpful step-by-step guide: How to replace a flyscreen by @Tara86.

The equipment and materials you'll need for this project are:

I look forward to seeing some images of the door and providing further assistance if needed. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Frostick
Finding My Feet

Re: How to replace wire on flyscreen door?

I always gently run the "WHEEL" around the screen wire before inserting the Tubing

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace wire on flyscreen door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Frostick. It's great to have you join us! 

Thanks for the tip. I'm sure @Anne4 will appreciate the advice.

Another tip is that the screen should have the excess slack removed before inserting the spline (tubing), but it should not be tight. Inserting the spline pulls it tight, though inserting the spline will split the screen along the edge if it is already tight.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Feel free to reach out anytime you might need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects