Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to screw into James Hardie Axent trim?

ironbark
Building a Reputation

How to screw into James Hardie Axent trim?

Hi, just a quick question. I'm fixing James Hardie Axent trim to the corners of a structure. Please look at the diagram - where the 88mm section sits against the 38mm side of the other piece of Axent trim one ( with the ? mark ) presumably one cannot use a screw to join the two sections together? That being the case, is it sensible to use a thin layer of construction adhesive or is it Okay just to use the screws into the studwork and just use a sealant on the outside joint between the two lengths of Axent trim where they connect on the outer surface. There is a weather strip on the corner between the structure and the Axent trim.

Many thanks & happy building 😊

IMG_20230310_104728.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to screw into James Hardie Axent trim?

Hello @ironbark 

Thank you for sharing your question about JH Axent trim. The Axent trim is capable of being glued together, but generally putting the sealant should be enough as the screws will keep the trim in place. 

However, I tend to over engineer my own projects and adding a bead of adhesive between the Axent trims will provide an extra measure of strength should there be any movement.

Let me call on our experienced members @homeinmelbourne and @Remarka6le for their recommendation.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Hi @ironbark ,

On the James Hardie website, there is an installation guide and best practices guide that you can download at the bottom of the page. 🙂

Thank you both, homeinmelbourne & EricL your replies are much appreciated. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects