Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal Pine timber for outdoor use?

kerry65
Growing in Experience

How to seal Pine timber for outdoor use?

what product would you use to seal normal pine to turn it into outdoor use. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal Pine timber for outdoor use?

Hi @kerry65,

Would you be able to provide a bit more context so our helpful members have a better idea of how they might assist?

Commonly, Pine is used internally unless it has had a pressurised chemical treatment applied to it. If you were going to build something outside, you'd use treated Pine. If this is a piece of Pine furniture you wish to have outside, then it's likely not a fantastic choice as softwood will begin to decay relatively quickly. To try and prevent this decay to a certain extent, you could either try saturating the timber with furniture oil or painting it. There are chemical preservatives like TWA Woodcare 300g Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment, but this is a green-coloured spray and is not suitable for applying to or protecting untreated timber. Any of these options would only delay the decay of your timber and won't make it suitable for an exterior environment.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your project and offering further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kerry65
Growing in Experience

I like to make bird boxes and outdoor decorative wall items. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kerry65

Those sound like wonderful projects to be working on. As suggested by my colleague @MitchellMc, using exterior paint is one way of protecting the pine from the elements. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your projects? Our members can then make suggestions on how to protect your timber projects from the elements. 

We look forward to seeing your projects.

Eric

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have used -

Feast Watson timber primer 

I have used it on hardwoods outdoors and it has been fine so far, darker tints do not get as dark as untreated wood but clears are fine.

It is toxic but that maybe just in it's uncured state perhaps @MitchellMc can find out more? I wouldn't use for bird boxes without more info.

Best bird boxes are hardwood for outdoor unprotected use. Chipboard/MDF is the standard for commercial boxes, they don't take well to moisture though.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Were you using that as a topcoat, @Brad? As far as I'm aware, it's a pre-coat to allow stains and top coats to absorb evenly. 

Most of those products should be kept well away from birds whilst their volatile organic compounds are off-gassing. Once they've cured, they become much safer. I think I'd still prefer a water-based paint if the birdhouses are for any type of parrot that might chew on them. I know water-based paints a relatively harmless if ingested after fully curing.

Mitchell

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Always as a precoat with a topcoat of exterior clear or stain. It is made for exterior and interior areas like bathrooms it is meant to stop mould.

I have used it on a letterbox that has so far had no problems.

I am going to use it on the meter box outside that I want a black japan finish on, it does make it a bit harder to get the finish as dark as I would like.

Kitchen bathroom we are having the natural looking timber or white debate, if timber wins it will also get used as a base coat.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects