Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal white porcelain tiles?

AnaB
Just Starting Out

How to seal white porcelain tiles?

What product can i use on white porcelain textured tiles to seal against gum Tree staining. 

this tree is constantly dropping its leaves and berries.   Leaving brown stains.   The only way i can remove them is with acid and a gurney.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal white porcelain tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AnaB. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing porcelain tiles.

Are these tiles glazed? Even glazed tiles are susceptible to tannin staining, so applying a sealer over a glaze might prove to be ineffective. If the tiles are un-glazed, then applying a sealer should help prevent staining. Do a test to see: Apply some water droplets to a tile in the shade. Wait 30 minutes and then see if the water has been absorbed into the tile or if it remains on top. Absorption indicates the tile is not glazed and is porous. If the tiles are porous, I'd recommend doing a test section with Crommelins Diamond Coat Slate and stone sealer. After the product has dried, if there is no discolouration and the sealer is well-adhered, I'd suggest coating the entire area. Make sure to follow the directions on the product for application.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects