Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure a wooden playground to the ground?

Connelro
Finding My Feet

How to secure a wooden playground to the ground?

EF4A4480-D70C-4C06-A889-3C627F4D3C2A.jpeg

1024863F-F6DF-46D4-AF84-FDE2063B57D1.jpeg

  

Hi there, 

I have a wooden playground removed from a preschool I am restoring & wanting to put up in my yard for my children. It consists of 6 90x90mm posts, and two standing platforms that are 1.2m square it also has a steel ladder, large steel climbing tube (3m) & steel fence section with a steering wheel all of which form part of the stability for the structure. The posts are above ground & were bracketed in at the original location. 

My question is can I use otter stirrup ground screws to secure to the ground, rather that a concrete & bracket solution? This is more attractive as long-term allows for easy removal/moving if ever required. NZ user so soil is softer in winter, silt mix. As an aside the house is on piles & didn’t require any additional depth piles etc on construction, the ground was deemed stable. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to secure a wooden playground to the ground?

Hi @Connelro

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about securing a wooden playground.

I've seen the Otter 690 x 90mm Ground Screw Stirrup used on fences, cubby houses and clotheslines. But I've not seen it installed on a playground. But just to be safe, I suggest looking into the local council's rules and regulations concerning the installation of large playground sets. Commercial playground sets often have reasons why they require a concrete footing to secure the entire playset. The set could be too heavy when assembled requiring a concrete footing. Adults could possibly hang on them as well. Total safety and reliability is the main concern of the manufacturer when the playset is being used by children.   

However, in anticipation of a requirement for a concrete footing, I suggest using Post Anchor Stirrup in combination with Ramset Ankascrew Masonry Anchor. This combination will still provide you with ease of disassembly without having to cut any bolts or rods in the concrete footing.

Please keep us updated with your progress,  we look forward to seeing your playground assembled.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to secure a wooden playground to the ground?

Thank you for the advice Eric! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects