Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure outdoor twin sensor lights hanging loose?

DaisyMay
Getting Established

How to secure outdoor twin sensor lights hanging loose?

One of my outdoor twin sensor lights is hanging loose - will I have to buy a whole new unit?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: outdoor twin sensor lights

Hello @DaisyMay

Thank you for sharing your question about your twin sensor lights. Have a good close look at the assembly of the lights. Let's try some troubleshooting steps first? Did it unscrew from its socket? Did it break off from the stem? Did it slide out of its housing? Is there a possibility of screwing or attaching it back on? I suggest seeing if any of these steps are applicable to the sensor light assembly.  

However, if the light has broken and snapped off, I suggest using Gorilla Glue 51ml Clear Bottle. It's a multi-purpose glue and will stick plastic together. Do not flood the joint with glue. Use only the right amount without the glue overflowing the joint. Use masking tape to hold the light in place until the glue cures.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DaisyMay
Getting Established

Thank you for your advice Eric. I was removing cobwebs with a broom and I think I knocked it out of its housing - it is hanging by its wiring. 

I will have a good look when it stops raining and let you know the outcome. 🤔

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DaisyMay

These things happen sometimes. If you can post a photo of its current condition we can better assess its damage.

Eric

DaisyMay
Getting Established

Hello again Eric,

One of my sons will have to attend to it - it is too high for me to reach. However, it is working, so can most likely be fixed.....

I can't see to ascertain exactly what the problem is.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DaisyMay

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the sensor light? We will be able to better assess its condition once we see what has happened to it. If you need assistance in posting the pictures please let me know.

Eric

DaisyMay
Getting Established

Hello Eric, I managed to remove the globe from the sensor light. It seems that the small white plastic pin that holds the sensor light socket to the arm has snapped in the middle and does not connect to the other side anymore. You can see the white stopper on the other lamp, in the lower half of the photo, which is missing....  

.sensor light.jpg

DaisyMay
Getting Established

PS - Maybe I could get the Gorilla Glue 51ml Clear Bottle  to stick it to the plastic on the outside although it is quite heavy when the globe is inserted ???

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DaisyMay 

I suggest trying to replace the white plastic pin with a Zenith M5 x 35mm 316 Stainless Steel Round Head Bolt And Nut - 4 Pack. You'll have to remove the old plastic pin and insert the new bolt and secure it with the nut at the end. However, if the pin is stuck you can't get it out, your only choice is to use Gorilla Glue 51ml Clear Bottle

I suggest using masking tape to hold it together until the glue dries. Don't put the bulb in until the glue is cured. Putting the bulb in too early will result in the fitting falling again.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects