Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop birds landing on your patio

Morrie
Getting Established

How to stop birds landing on your patio

Birds.jpgI had a huge problem with birds pooping on my patio I tried many ways to rectify the problem with out success until erected fishing line on top of where they normally perch .....it worked the fishing line stopped them from landing 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Keeping the birds under control

Hello @Morrie

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your method of keeping birds off your patio fence.

What a fantastic and ingenious idea of keeping birds from landing in that area. What were some of the other methods that did not work? How long have you had the fishing line attached? I'm sure our members would be keen to know how you eventually came upon this idea. If you have any other projects that you are currently working on please don't hesitate to post them. We would be more than happy to provide advice and information should you need it.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

That reminds me of a time when working in a prison, where the "Powers" had stretched razor wire in front of a small opening to an area near a verandah ceiling, that birds kept building nests in. The guards were then in awe of the birds flying skills when they watched them fly toward the ceiling, close their wings to drop through the leftover gap, then used the razor wire to hold their nest securely in place. The guards felt that these birds deserved the spot, so then left the situation alone.  Glad to see that you've solved your problem, with a non aggressive method.

Morrie
Getting Established

Hi Eric 

Another method I tried was a product call Bird Off from a Queensland company this product had a distinct smell that repelled the birds, unfortunately every where I put my hands I would end up wearing it Ha!

I tried the spikes but they didn't have a good look the fishing line seemed to be the ideal answer.

I have had the fishing line installed for around 3 weeks now.

Recently I was watching the birds trying to land on the line but it kept flicking them off until they just gave up, the good part about it was they didn't come back, hope this is of use to the members.     

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects