Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop outdoor drain blocking with leaves?

kingj
Cultivating a Following

How to stop outdoor drain blocking with leaves?

Hello, 

I have a problem in my home country where the leaves clog outdoor drain. I have an old video of the situation , the drain is not visible in this video however I have marked it location in the picture. As you may notice the leaves fall continuously from the creeper next to the gate 

The drain is somewhat like this one .

I was looking for at ideas to stop it from clogging but things like this are not possible since they protrude outside and people can trip over. the other option I found was this one, but not sure how effective it is.

Can you suggest some options.

thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor drain blocked by leaves.

Hi @kingj,

I tend to agree with @Dave-1, on this one. That drain is far too small to deal with major downpours.

I'd suggest you have a plumber install something similar to an Everhard 325mm Series 300 Shallow Stormwater Pit with an Everhard Class A Galvanised Grate and then connect it to the drainage pipe.

The larger surface area will make it far more difficult to block, and if a blockage does occur, it would be a simple matter of removing the grate to allow the water to flow.

This also allows the drain to remain flush with the ground, so there will be no tripping hazard.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

kingj
Cultivating a Following

Hi @JacobZ 

Everhard Class A Galvanised Grate looks quite heavy duty for the purpose, would an alumunium one be fine? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kingj,

An aluminium grate such as this Everhard Class A Aluminium Grate would be fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects