Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water pooling in backyard?

ajs_
Getting Established

How to stop water pooling in backyard?

Hi everyone,

After some outdoor drainage advice.

Our shed down the back of our yard tends to get water come in from under door/front corner when it rains as it seems to pool towards the front of the shed (land isnt overly level toward back boundary).

I'm after some ideas of how I can detour water away ?

Thank you 😊 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drainage advice

Hi @ajs_ 

Thanks for sharing your question about drainage for your shed. Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of the shed and where the water tends to pool? This will give our members a chance to assess the situation. We can then offer recommendations on how to divert the water from coming into the shed.

There are a few methods on how you can divert the water away from your shed. First, you can install a drain coil in front of the shed so that any water that pools in that area will get carried away towards the front. This will involve you digging a drain channel for the drain coil to sit in. 

The second method is to install Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel. This has the same effect as the drain coil except that it allows water to fall directly into the channel to be diverted away.

The third method is to re-level the soil so that you have a slope that guides the water away from the shed to the outside of your yard.

Here are some handy links that will help with your drainage:

We look forward to seeing the photos of your shed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ajs_
Getting Established

Hi,

Thanks for those options provided. One of the first 2 might be what we'll need to do.

The shed is just below the land level at the front of the shed and the land is slightly higher left side of the shed but does level out The problem seems to be mostly the left side/corner or the shed (side boundary fence).

I've attached a whole photo of the shed (dont mind my toddler 😂), I can try add another when back home if enough light.

I have added a rubber strip just inside the roller door which has helped. 

Thank you.

20230208_164707.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ajs_ 

Thanks for sharing a photo of your shed. One of the things you'll probably need to determine is the location of your drainpipe underground. I suggest doing a bit of exploration by going to the closest downpipe to your shed. This downpipe will probably be the one you link up to in order to get rid of the excess rainwater that is pooling near your shed entrance. 

Please note that some states require a registered plumber to link up with your drain system. I suggest checking the rules and regulations of your local council to determine if you'll need a plumber.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working on your drain system.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects