Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tile alfresco concrete?

carlallanvela
Getting Established

How to tile alfresco concrete?

The concreter left us with the alfresco lower than the concretr perimeter.

Now, we want to get someone to put tiles over the alfresco. Based on my research, I need to put concrete over the alfresco for it to be levelled with the perimeter concrete. Questions are:

1. is it fine to have the new concrete levelled with the perimeter? Or do I need to have it lower? Like 10-20mm.

2. How do people usually do it? Tiles higher that the perimeter (i.e. almost levelled with the entrance) or same level with the perimeter?

1000010967.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to tile alfresco concrete?

Hello @carlallanvela 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your alfresco.

My apologies for the late reply. Can you please tell us how deep the alfresco section is? Will you be tiling the concrete perimeter or leaving it as is? If you are not tiling the outside perimeter then the concrete to be added will need to take into account, the thickness of the tile and the thickness of the adhesive being applied.

This is exacting work and must be done with a high degree of precision. If you've not done concreting before, I suggest engaging the services of a trade's person. They have the tools and experience to add the concrete precisely.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @carlallanvela 

Thats going to be a nice area when you are finished for sure! The way the edge is imediatly makes me think of pavers, I have seen large pavers/almost tiles used in areas like this and am wondering if thats the reason why it was done?

Thin layer of sand 20mm, and then a 20mm tile paver deal. (I am guessing thre is a 40mm ish difference between the outside edge and inside edge)

Dave

Thanks for the reply @Dave-1 and @EricL

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @carlallanvela ,  I think @Dave-1 is correct the sunken area is to allow for slabs or thick tiles. The inside area surface should end up slightly higher than the outside surface. If it is lower then water will flow in whenever it rains.

I like the 40mm estimate of @Dave-1  which would put it slightly higher than the outside and slightly lower than the alfresco door. I am looking to have the inside area concreted professionally (as suggested by @EricL ) to be the same level as the outside concrete then put on slabs or thick tiles. Hopefully it will look good.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @carlallanvela 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your alfresco levelled and ready for tiling.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects