Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upscale this outdoor timber table?

ianpereira18
Getting Established

How to upscale this outdoor timber table?

F7196975-011F-4D5D-8A26-10DFFE0ED5B0.jpeg

 I found this timber table placed at a kerb and it’s joins are quite sturdy so that’s not a problem. My only question is how to make it pretty and ensure there are no termites? Or match it with my outdoor day bed? I also have a H4 treated pine garden bed. Can I use any product/Color on all three Timbers so that they match in Color.  

4F0CA4C1-42A1-4827-A4B6-8637AD5231E3.jpeg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to upscale this outdoor timber table?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ianpereira18  It's great to have you contribute to the group.

The table looks nice and sturdy that's for sure, as for white ants checks for any honeycomb type flaking timber or soft spots. Termites generally don't like to be disturbed and they tend to flee pretty quick once disturbed. Any concerns a quick google search to identify what a white ant infestation looks like.

For getting the timber ready for oiling I recommend using a product like pictured below to clean the timber and remove any tanons basically strip it back to as new as possible.

From there you can coat all 3 in a timber oil neutral or colour of your choice but just to he aware different types of timbers will have slightly different colours it's just the way it is. There are also water based products you can use too. This is something you will have to do on a time to time basis depending on location with intensity of the sun. The paint tech at your local Bunnings should be able to advise you of the best product for your needs. Any other questions please let me know.

Carl

Screenshot_20220709-214004_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220709-214014_Chrome.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ianpereira18,

It's great that you've already received some excellent advice from @CSParnell. I'd imagine you'll get great results from the Intergrain Ultraprep, but I can also highly recommend the Feast Watson Woodclean. It includes Hydrochloric acid and Oxalic acid and really does a wonderful job of removing the greyed look and restoring the timber to the original. I've used it several times recently, and it is truly remarkable.

I can't wait to see your results. Please keep us updated.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your help! What timber oil can I use on this table? I have water based decking oil (Cabot’s Aquadeck) and Cabot’s Deck clean as well which I bought from Bunnings for a decking DIY. Can I use it for cleaning or do I need stronger product like the one you and Mitchell mentioned? 

You could use the deck clean @ianpereira18, but it won't have the same stripping power as the Feast Watson Woodclean. The deck clean is mainly for cleaning purposes, whereas the FW Woodclean is a rejuvenation product. The additional 10% hydrochloric acid makes all the difference.

I can't see any reason why you couldn't use the Aquadeck on the table and sleepers. It likely won't resemble the same colour as the furniture, though.

If you want a specific product for furniture, check out our range of exterior oils. Any of those would also be suitable.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects