Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use bamboo to make patio curtains?

TJS2
Finding My Feet

How to use bamboo to make patio curtains?

I want to use Bamboo to make 2 'bead like' curtains on my Patio

It has 2 rectangular doorways which are open - the rest is waterproof.

The Patio doorways are diagonally across from each other and whilst

they will not be totally waterproof, I need the flow of air.

I can give you the measurements once I know what you can provide?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to use bamboo to make patio curtains?

Hello @TJS2

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to make bamboo patio curtains.

If you are after something that is already assembled, you could use Outdoor Roman Bamboo Blinds. They range in width from 900mm to 2400mm. Because they are bamboo you can trim the sides down if you have a size that's in between. However, if you're after a vertical assembly, you can use Bamboo Slat Screen Fencing. The starting size is 1 meter in height and jumps to 1.8 meters. I'm sorry but there are no single bamboo long bead assemblies available. 

My other suggestion is to use Eden Shade Cloth Fencing. It has pre-installed eyelets making installation easy.  If you have a specific look or idea of how the bamboo curtain is supposed to look like, please don't hesitate to post it. Once we have an idea of the style your after, our members will be able to give you a more comprehensive suggestion. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TJS2
Finding My Feet

Hi

I have two Patio doorways and I want to leave them open sp they provide a flow of air through this 5m square Patio.

The bamboo would need to hang downward and the doorways are 550mm & 900mm wide. They are both 2400 long.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TJS2,

Were you envisaging something like a door curtain? These Pillar Products 90 x 200cm Black Magnetic Strip Flyscreen Door Curtain are also particularly effective at allowing airflow but keeping flies and insects out.

I look forward to hearing more about your project and providing solutions.

Mitchell

That sounds interesting. Tell me more?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What would you like to know more about @TJS2, the magnetic door curtains? They are easy to install with an adhesive-backed velcro strip. You simply stick the velcro around your door frame and attach the flyscreen curtains. I'd highly recommend screwing through the velcro into the door frame, as the adhesive would likely be the weakest link. It also features magnets located down the seam in the middle, which auto-close the screen for you after walking through it. I've just noticed that you mentioned the doors are 2400mm long. Is that their height? If so, these magnetic curtains are only 2000mm high. You'd need to do something for that additional 400mm. Perhaps a standard flyscreen and frame could be built for that section.

Mitchell

Thanks for this. I am still keen on long bamboo strips to make the curtain and I can fix rods to go across in high winds.

I am sure something can be adapted from what is on the market.

Thanks 

Trevor

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like a plan Trevor (@TJS2). Do you think you could use the strips from one of these EDEN 1.8 x 3m Bamboo Slat Screen Fencing

Mitchell

Yes but I would like to see it and be assured it will covert to my measurements.

I can call at the Mount store anytime is convenient

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Trevor

TJS2
Finding My Feet

I am interested in both EricL and MitchellMc  and would like to meet up with them.

Are they at the Mount store?

TJS2

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects