Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to work out wood sizes when I intend building a 50sq m deck?

pedro45
Just Starting Out

How to work out wood sizes when I intend building a 50sq m deck?

Looking at different options I have no idea of how to decide the amount of decking to purchase.  If something is listed as linear metres, what exactly does that mean?

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to work out wood sizes when I intend building a 50sq m deck?

There's a few free online tools such as blocklayer.com

It's not a perfect solution but it's helpful. You still need to know your joisting/bearing requirements to input the centres, etc. But once you've figured those out based on your FLW (Floor Load Width) and span tables, manufacturer install guides, etc you'll be well on your way.

A lineal metre just means 1m of the product regardless of its width. The width component is necessary to calculate the amount of product you need, ie. a 10sqm deck using 90mm wide decking board (disregarding gaps) will require 111.11lm of decking boards but the same sized deck using 140mm wide boards only requires 71.32lm of boards.

Hope this helps.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pedro45. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It's excellent to see you've already received a prompt reply from the knowledgeable @ProjectPete. I trust Pete has answered your question. If you need anything else, please feel free to let us know as we're here to help.

We look forward to hearing more about your decking project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any further help or would like to share it with us. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration within the community are our creative members are sharing their project here all the time.

You might like to check out our Top 10 most popular deck projects for some ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is your deck project progressing @pedro45? Please let us know if you need further assistance with anything. We're here to help.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing your new deck come together.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects