Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Indoor to outdoor cat tower

Shannon
Making a Splash

Indoor to outdoor cat tower

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Indoor to outdoor cat tower

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @domjas. I'm sure the very clever @Shannon appreciates the positive feedback.

Do you have any plans to build something similar?

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden. Our wonderful community is there to help.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wowza
Just Starting Out

Great job Shanon.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @wowza, I'm sure @Shannon appreciates the positive feedback.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're pleased to have you join us and invite you to post whenever you have something to share with our members or need a hand with any project around the house and garden. We're here to help.

Jason

Shannon
Making a Splash

cage steps.pngad on gutter run.pngcage extension.pngcat cage bonza.pngcat cage.pngcage run.pngcat cage bonza lookout.png

Omg I love the little above roof lookout you constructed as well. You can tell how much you love your cat by how much you spoil him! I’ve been wanting to try and create a cat run for my two boys because I hate the fact that they’re only indoor cats. But renting and a very low budget has made the creative flow of juices come to a trickle. Would you have any suggestions on a low budget indoor to outdoor cat run that doesn’t need to be permanently fixed to the outside of our building. We are like a penthouse apartment of a student complex on city fringe of Melbourne. We are fortunate to have a front and rear balcony which you can subsequently walk along the roof between the two. I was thinking of something that would lead from a window next to our front balcony and have a run that opens up to an enclosure on the back balcony, but wouldn’t know where to begin on a low budget. Any thoughts? Would really appreciate it :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Juliagrace.

It's great to have you join us and many thanks for jumping straight into the conversation. Let me tag @Shannon so he is alerted to your kind feedback and question. 

I noticed on our website there are a couple of enclosures you might be able to utilise in your design, the Rapidmesh 144 x 112 x 60cm Portable Animal Enclosure and the Rapidmesh 122 x 106 x 73-5cm Animal Enclosure And 1 Tunnel. The second enclosure includes a tunnel which could assist with creating the run section. There are also some budget-friendly mesh products on the site which you could use in creating your own enclosure and run to cut down costs.

Let me also mention our resident cat enthusiast @redracer01 to see if he has any ideas. I'm sure some images of the area and a diagram showing measurements will assist our members in providing some great solutions.

We look forward to hearing more about your project and would encourage you to let us know if you need assistance with it or have any questions.

Mitchell

indoor to outdoor cat tower

Could you please tell me what mesh was used and what sizes it is available in at Bunnings. I am wanting to have one built under the eaves of my house

thank you

kind regards

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: indoor to outdoor cat tower

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Maggie2. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

@Shannon mentions earlier in the discussion that he found the mesh in the scrap pile where he was working. An equivalent product found at Bunnings would be our Rapid Mesh 1800 x 900mm Framed Wire Mesh Panel. It appears the closest un-framed mesh we would have to what Shannon used is the Rapidmesh 600 x 1200mm 25 x 25mm Wire Mesh Panel.

We look forward to hearing more about your cat tower project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share it with the community.

Mitchell

Thank you for your reply I am not  computer literate enough to add a drawing. Basically the enclosure will only have 3 sides which will be alongside the sliding door and under the eave.

the two sides will be about 600 deep and about 210 high to go under the eave. The width piece will be about 180 wide and again about 210 high to go under the eave thereby not needing a roof. it will stand on top of wooden decking so not needing a floor.

The pieces that you suggest will have to be joined !   and also it would be good to have a small door but not essential as the project could be taken down to clean tiehe glass on the sliding door

KInd regards

Maggie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Maggie2,

The easiest way I can think of for joining the Rapid Mesh 1800 x 900mm Framed Wire Mesh Panel would be using Zenith 75mm Zinc Plated Mending Plates 4 Pack and attaching them with Buildex 12-14 x 20mm Climaseal Hex Head Metal Tek Screws 50 Pack. You could simply butt the two sheets up against each other and use the brackets and Tek screws to join them together.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects