Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Inspiration for backyard makeover

pepsp
Having an Impact

Inspiration for backyard makeover

Hi all.

I’ve been contemplating a deck and new retaining walls and pergola for some years but have been putting it off. Now I’m keen for some inspiration- 2021 may just be the year!! At around 360sq metres it’s a big backyard and I’m thinking it could be really great. Any thoughts on where to start? 

note there is an existing tiled area and pergola. I’m thinking of a deck at floor level with some steps up to a retaining wall at approximately the 48m contour. 

backyard.png

3189D557-6937-497A-84E7-68E7398DDDF3.jpeg

D5C1A543-E11D-41FB-9B31-5FFA5481C37D.jpeg

0F5C76D9-8140-403D-8C3A-7E77428B78D8.jpeg

BD20E6E7-EB54-412C-9211-556373EBC6D2.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: inspiration for backyard makeover

Hi @pepsp,

You might like to start by reading through How to plan a garden makeover and How to give your garden a makeover by @Adam_W.

You should also find these step-by-step articles useful:

A tool I've used before is the myGarden planner by Gardena. It was essentially created to plan out an irrigation system. However, I find it a useful design tool for backyard planning.

For inspiration, I'd encourage you to check out our Top 10 most popular garden makeovers. A great place to start would be selecting several elements you'd like to have included and then making a plan of attack. List these elements from most important to least and then start something that will have a dramatic effect. You might like to remove things like the raised garden beds, dead trees and the rocks pile if they are not to be incorporated.

Let me mention @redracer01@mich1972 and @Yanick to see if they had some ideas for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc for the starting ideas. I’ve had a look at some really excellent garden makeovers on this site. I’m thinking of some pine sleeper planter boxes around the edges of the yard and painting the fence in a charcoal grey as a starting point. I have some really ugly rock retaining walls on the boundary I’d like to hide and I’m thinking those decking clad planters stained in a merabu colour would be great.

What paint would you recommend for spray painting the old metal fences?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@pepsp,

They sound like some great ideas.

Water-based acrylics are suitable for painting over Colorbond steel, and a suitable product would be Dulux rapid finish. A Dulux RapidFinish Paint Spray Gun would be convenient for spraying such a large surface area.

Mitchell

I have the Wagner W100 wood and metal paint sprayer. Would that be ok to use? Might be a bit slow I guess as it’s a small one @MitchellMc 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Is it me or are your fences really low. Your plans look good @pepsp 

Look forward to seeing your renovations.

I hope you add in some fruiting trees or large hedges  to block out your neighbours maybe ?  Good luck 😊

I was thinking citrus trees on the western side and Lilly pillies dwarf variety cherry surprise up the back @mich1972 

I have heavy clay soils so a bit of work to do to get the plants growing. 

re the fence height, I’ve never measured them. Could look low because of all the weeds not under control!!

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Ahhhhh heavy clay makes it hard in that case. Adding plenty of Gypsysun to help break it down and heaps of organic matter to add into the clay to break up the fine particles.  Plant selection sounds good. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@pepsp

The Wagner W100 would also be suitable. You'll just need to take your time doing panel by panel, a perfect chance to have a coffee and biscuit in between them.

Mitchell

Ok so I did some research and calculations. We’re talking about 60 metres of fence to spray. Plus I need to do the exterior wall at the back of my house, let’s call that 15 metres. Then I eventually need to repaint a couple of rooms inside (especially ceilings). I’m thinking this may actually be worth a bigger investment in say the Wagner Control Pro 150 or 250. Brains trust, any advice on this?

@MitchellMc 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects