Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is Pebblecrete good for waterproofing balconies?

annisha68
Just Starting Out

Is Pebblecrete good for waterproofing balconies?

I recently paid deposit on an apartment. I had a building report done and it turns out that both balconies are inadequately waterproofed. I have been ringing around for someone to quote on how much it would cost and i was recommended someone by a friend. He suggested that i have all the tiles pulled up and he replaces them with pebble crete.  I have been doing a little bit of research about balconies and how to waterproof them because i dont want to be duped over and then have to pay more in the future because of shoddy work. I havent come across anything about pebble crete and balconies.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is pebble crete good for waterproofing balconies?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @annisha68. It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your question about waterproofing balconies.

Pebblecrete is a coating and is not a waterproofing agent. The waterproofing of a balcony is done before adding the coating. It's a similar process as a shower recess. A paintable waterproof membrane is added over the substrate and the tiles, or perhaps Pebblecrete is added on top. If you wanted to add waterproofing to the balcony, you'd need to have the tiles removed and a membrane installed.

I'd like to hear more about how "inadequately" the balconies are waterproofed. Is it that no waterproofing membrane is installed (major works to rectify) or that there is a joint that needs additional waterproofing done to it (minimal work). What sort of issues has the report identified apart from the waterproofing being inadequate? Has damage been caused, or is it likely to occur? The statement that both balconies are inadequately waterproofed is pretty broad, and we'd need to know specifically what is going on to assist further.

In answer to your question, pulling up the tiles and adding Pebblecrete will not assist with waterproofing your balcony adequately.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects