Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laying deck on concrete slab

TK87
Getting Established

Laying deck on concrete slab

Hi all. I'm looking to lay decking over an existing concrete slab. The slab has existing water proofing membrane and is 4.8x5.7m.

I'm keen to use a composite panel product (e.g. Ekodeck).

Are there pedestal products that I can use that substitutes the need to build a joist frame structure? 

Would love to hear from advice. 

Cheers!

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: Laying deck on concrete slab

Hi @TK87 & welcome.
Would the Good Times system work for you? I'm thinking the supports rather than the entire system due to your size.
With any deck you'll still need a bearer & joist structure of some sort. @EricL mentioned the Steel Deck system & I have used that and found it great. Quite cost effective and larger spans than timber are achievable due to the strength of the steel. It also uses a joist inside bearer box-frame structure so only one 'layer' in height as opposed to the typical layer of bearers, layer of joists.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi TK87,

I'd be interested to see how this turns out.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TK87

It's great that you got fantastic advice from @tom_builds and @Adam_W. Looking at the photo you posted in your last post, are you installing this on an existing elevated structure? Just a friendly reminder at having a look at your local council's regulations regarding building a deck over existing structures. We want to make sure your build is safe and passes the local council's rules. 

Please keep us updated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TK87
Getting Established

Thanks Eric. And yes, have council approved plans (and a DA) so all good to go. And rest assured a fence is going in!

Will share some progress shots as I go 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects