Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Location of fire pit area?

bennybennybenny
Having an Impact

Location of fire pit area?

Hi everyone,
I am currently in the process of re-doing our backyard. There's not much lawn to speak of at the moment, mostly weeds so I'm going to be re-turfing the backyard. I'm also wanting to put in a fire pit area as well.

I'll be edging an area and having crushed stone on the ground and using some tree stumps as seating around the fire pit which will look something like the attached photo. The only thing is my wife and I can't really agree on where it should go - I think it should be in the area marked in the images as it's close to the house (not too far to carry drinks and food) and you can easily keep an eye on the area from inside or the undercover entertaining area. 

There is also a TV in the undercover entertaining area so to me it makes sense to put it here as you can still see the TV from ground level and if there are some people sitting at the table in the outdoor entertaining area and some at the firepit it's close enough you can still have a conversation.

My wife's concern is it's going to take up too much room and she wants maximum lawn area for our daughter to play on, but we  do have a fair bit of room on the block.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on where they think would be the best area to position the fire pit?

Any help or suggestions woulf be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Benny

FP_F1.jpgFP_F2.jpgFP_F3.jpgMilkcan-Phoenix-80-1CR-Fire-pits-outdoor-rust-steel-planter-bowl-main3-800px-op.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Location of fire pit area?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bennybennybenny. It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for the question about locating your firepit.

The location you propose certainly makes sense, but I think your wife's concerns need to be addressed too. There appears to be plenty of grassed areas in the yard for play, so what makes your proposed location so crucial for your daughter? Is it that she doesn't otherwise venture further into the yard, and if you were to build your firepit here, your wife is concerned that you are limiting useable play space? I suspect your daughter might be gravitating closer to the house because there doesn't appear to be many reasons to go into the yard. Making the other spaces more enticing for her would go a long way to locating the firepit where you want. I'd suggest that either a Swing Slide Climb 7 Function Swing Set or Swing Slide Climb Cuckoo Cubby House would be a great solution and reason for your daughter to use all the available space and not just your proposed area. Perhaps you'd like to follow one of these step-by-step guides to create something yourself: How to build a pallet cubby and How to build a sandpit with foldable cover.

Once you agree on a location for the fire pit, you should find @Adam_W's guide on How to build a fire pit useful.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Location of fire pit area?

As a sports fan, I can certainly understand wanting your fire pit to be within viewing distance of the television @bennybennybenny. :smile:

Let me tag some helpful members for another perspective though: @prettyliving@Tara86@lcooksey88. Hopefully they can share their valuable thoughts.      

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects