Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Looking for top circular or reciprocating saw recommendation

varununi
Growing in Experience

Looking for top circular or reciprocating saw recommendation

Hi, Friendlies! 

I am looking for some great saw recommendations here. Confused between reciprocating and circular saws. Are there more types?!

Purpose: 

1.  Start some small garden beds. Effectively be able to cut through timber, pine sleepers. This project will be started shortly. 

2. Make some internal garden beds, flower beds. 

3. Internal house wood repairs

4. maybe some decking maintenance and creating new one

Note, everything is DIY! 

Currently qiupment: 

1. Ryobi one plus system hand drill and driver 

2. Ryobi one plus system sander 

3. big hand saw

4. Ryobi 1200 W line trimmer - electric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Loking for top circular or reciprocating saw recommendation

Hi @varununi

Thanks for sharing that question about reciprocating and circular saws. Because you already have the Ryobi One Plus system, I'm inclined to recommend getting a Ryobi Circular Saw. Having the One Plus system means that the battery for your drill will work on the Ryobi Circular Saw.

A reciprocating saw is a great tool to have. But it struggles to cut thick timber. Reciprocating saws are often used to cut holes in plywood sheets or when cutting curves on a timber panel. A circular saw however is designed to cut timber sleepers and timber posts. It's designed to cut into deeper pieces of timber. However, it can't be used to cut small holes. 

Looking at your project list, I recommend getting a circular saw such as the Ryobi One+ 18V 165mm Circular Saw - Skin Only it offers you battery compatibility and more power when cutting thick pieces of timber.   

When the time comes and you're doing a lot of curvy cuts in your projects, that's the time you'll need to purchase a reciprocating saw.

Let me tag our experienced members @MikeTNZ, @Adam_W and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
varununi
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL!

I did look at the ryobi one and felt great with the reviews. Although I'm still unsure if circular saw is my first saw I should be getting into. 

What's ur take on pendulum jigsaws? I've seen couple of videos, they are versatile and I've seen them making some rip cuts through timber as well with correct blades

Would you recommend a pendulum jigsaw instead? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @varununi,

All the current jobs you've listed predominantly require a circular saw. Jigsaws are great, but they are for intricate cuts. Regardless of the blade, they are not fantastic at rip cutting and are far inferior to a circular saw in that regard. I have that Ryobi saw, and it's what I've just used to build a deck. It's a wonderful tool. I also have a jigsaw, and if you were considering one for some intricate or curvy cuts, I suggest picking one up too. They are not really interchangeable as they both do a fairly specific job. I find this budget-friendly XU1 350W Jigsaw works just fine.

You might like to read through our Best Advice article on What circular saw do you recommend?.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
varununi
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc for the insight. Looks like my goto saw then 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi there @varununi,

As MitchellMc alluded to, the only way you're going to get effective and straight cuts is with a circular saw.

Reciprocating saws are really only for demolition work where you need to remove timber and other things quickly, they are not designed for

the accurate cutting of new timber lengths.

If however, you are going to be doing a lot of straight (across the timber) cuts, I would highly recommend you look at getting a mains powered

Profile saw, this is effectively a Circular saw on a table, they give a straight cut every time you use it, as it is set to 90° unless you adjust it.

If you have any further questions, by all means, ask away.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects