Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level deck with overhang

archerwinmakes
Having an Impact

Low-level deck with overhang

Great community here. I've been reading a lot about building a low level deck. But still have a few specific questions just to make sure before I buy the materials.

I plan to build a low level decking on top of my concrete floor and will span around 1.8m across the grassy part to the right of the photo.

I plan to use 70x35mm for the joist as it has enough height to just level with the floor of the house after decking is installed.

Questions:

1. for the 1.8m joist that will span the right side, do I need to double up the 70x35mm joist? or single is ok?

2. for the bearer, I'm planning to use 140 x 45 mm how far from the concrete floor can I position it? Can I have just one bearer positioned 1.8m from the concrete floor? or do I need to put 2 bearers 0.9m apart? 

3. Joist spacing should be 450mm? is this the same if I will use pine?

Thank you!

InkedIMG_4035_LI.jpg

Re: Low Level Deck with overhang

Hi EricL,

I used Ekodeck Plus Designer Backbeach for the decking boards and Ekodeck Plus Designer Backbeach Edge for the edge boards fixed with Concealed Fix 3mm Quickfix for timber joists.

I used Pine Structural Treated H3 140 x 45mm as bearers for the part above the soil. Joists are Pine Structural Treated H3 90 x 45mm.

When over concrete area, joists were supported above concrete level with Bracket Angle HD Dunnings 90x150x75x6mm M12.

For the posts in the soil section, I used Post Anchor HD Galv Pryda buried in concrete and Cypress Post Sawn F7 100 x 100mm as posts.

I also painted all timber outside the roof boundary with Bondall 4L Inground Timber Protector.

All in all it took around 3-4 weeks, with 2 people working mostly on the weekends.

Re: Low Level Deck with overhang

Hi @archerwinmakes 

Thanks for that extra update. I'm sure our members will find this information very handy should they decide to build a similar project.

Again, thanks for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects