Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low profile deck

hadi
Growing in Experience

Low profile deck

IMG_0649.jpegHi all,

I've been planning to build a low profile deck for about 4 months now. Been trying to discover what's envolved and how  I can build it.

Currently we have a pavers in the backyard which I'm trying to convert a part of it to a deck and the rest will transform later to white pebbles and some big black tiles in between.

The issue I'm currently facing and need help to decide is: from the pavers to backyard window (which is the entrace to the backyard from the house) I have 14cm height only. 

So I have two options:

1- to remove the whole pavers from the backyard, dig a bit to open up some space which for me is a quite an effort and will take time to complete. (P.S: I'm a full time employee working in industry and this is my first deck to build. I'm quite handy and I've refloor our house [remove carpet and put luxury vinyl] )

2- Use the pedestal (https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-pedestal-foot-smallfoot-35-60mm_p2450074) and put the bearers and joist inline with eachother. 

So the deck I'm trying to build is 6 meters by 7 meters. I'm open to any ideas and help please.

If you need more information let me know as well.

I've just took out some of bricks and the underneath was a bit of sand and then concrete.

IMG_1043.jpegIMG_3554.jpegIMG_8613.jpegIMG_8878.jpeg

Re: Low profile deck

They generally don't make H4 in framing timber sizes as it's used for on and in-ground purposes. H4 sizes are limited to posts and sleepers. You could use the H3, but coat it with TWA Woodcare 300g Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment to enhance its rot resistance.

As this is pavers and not a concrete slab, it limits the options. If it was concrete, you could support the timber on plastic shims, and Dynabolt threw it into the slab. Or, attach angled brackets to the concrete. You could consider removing pavers at the support points and concreting in half stirrups.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Just thought I’d ask that if h3 has a 26mm space between itself and the paving. Would that be enough to be able to use it?? 🙏

As mentioned previously @beemerx65, the 26mm is still considered a very minimal gap, but technically it is above ground which H3 is suitable for.

Mitchell

ash12b
Just Starting Out

Hi good day @hadi 

I am thinking of doing a decking to my backyard same as u I got pavers any help how I am going to fix for non movement?

16346288562972670804787656825048.jpg

Hi Mitch. What spacing of these feet would you recommend. Also is it advisable to attach joists to the house 🙏😁

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @beemerx65

Based on your plan, I suggest spacing the feet every 750mm. Adding a ledger to mount the joist is always a good idea. Let me tag my colleague @MitchellMc so that he's made aware of your question. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your decking project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects