Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Merbau decking over concrete slab

Neo19
Making a Splash

Merbau decking over concrete slab

IMG_20191207_141119.jpg

Hi Everyone 

I have been going through these discussion boards for a while and finally mustered to courage to post a question here :smile:

This would be my first deck. Have done some landscaping for myself in the past including a raised garden bed, however nothing major. As far as tools, I've a drill kit including hammer drill, a cordked circular saw and a random orbital sander. 

My proposed deck would be 350 x 370 with height from the slab between 17 - 18 cm so it stays flush with the brick and same level as my internal floor. 

I've been advised that i could use H3 structural timber (140 x 45) as joists and lay decking boards on top that. 

My questions, 

1. How do I attach joists to the concrete? Use galvanized angle brackets like this?

2. How can I adjust the height so the finished decking board stays flush? If i used 140 board + .5 bracket + 19 mm board = it would be around 165 cm height. Which is around 1.5 cm lower than bricks. Can I use plastic wedges / window packers to compensate for around 1.5 to 2 cm? 

3. This deck would be under alfresco cover and under eaves. In terms for water drainage, what would be helpful. Would the packers / wedges mentioned in Q. 2 help with the same?   

IMG_20190916_143835.jpgAlfrescoAlfrescoRough plan showing pillarRough plan showing pillar

On the last image, pillar is on the corner of the alfresco slab and the decking to the south of it would be on top of soil (this would 370 x 45 cm). Not much height difference from alfresco slab. What do I need to provide here under joist for support? Not enough height for a stirrup. 

Thank you very much for reading through. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Merbau Decking over concrete slab

Hi @babakr,

I see you have already had a helpful reply from @Brad which is fantastic. I can confirm TWA Woodcare 300g Ecoseal Tanalised Timber Treatment is what you will spray on the cut ends of treated pine. It will be green when first sprayed on but the colour will diminish over the course of several weeks.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Merbau decking over concrete slab

Hi Mitchell thanks, and Im glad to hear that.  Are Bunnings annual supply chain surveys available for public viewing?  Are there alternative products that would work on private decks? (eg modwood composites etc)?

Is there a comparable product that would do just as well for private outdoor decks (eg modwood, treated H3 pine etc)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Suesnews,

I will ask the team tomorrow regarding your question about supply chain surveys.

There are many alternatives to choose from when constructing a deck. I can suggest you take a look at our Ekodeck Plus composite decking which is manufactured from over 90% reclaimed timber and recycled plastic. It is resistant to termites, rot, decay, mould and mildew and it also does not require oiling or painting. 

Our supplier Goodtimes also provides some modular decking solutions utilising Ekodeck which could also be worth considering.

You might be interested in a few previous discussions on this topic

Here's a step-by-step D.I.Y article on How to lay Ekodeck which I trust you'd find helpful in the installation process.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

ok thanks MItch, I look forward to what the team say.  Good to see this forum is so well moderated :smile: I've only just found it.  Have you had a chance to see my post about the SIP panels?  Im an OB doing a small extension, am thinking about these for the roof

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Suesnews,

I haven't personally used them but Brad and I have both responded in your discussion about the R-value.

Mitchell

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vinoth14dec. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

The image in this thread, which I have included below, is a Merbau deck covered in water. It is not a coating that has been applied to a deck. Generally, you will not find a hard gloss coating available for a deck as that would be extremely slippery and dangerous when it rains.

If it is Merbau landscaping you wish to coat and not a trafficked area where people will walk on I can suggest Intergrain 1L Ultraclear Gloss Exterior Timber Varnish. This is a gloss coating that will be a lot shinier than a decking oil.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell  

Wet deck.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Suesnews,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you regarding your question about Bunnings supply chain surveys. Unfortunately the team has advised that we are unable to share them as we don't have permission from suppliers to release the information they contain. 

I trust Mitch has assisted with your other questions. Please let us know if you need any further help with your project. We're here to help.

Jason

Looks great @Neo19 !  I'm about to start my own deck and I was wondering, what did you learn that you would do differently next time?  

Suesnews
Getting Established

thanks for the reply Jason, but Im afraid this is an unconvincing position for the suppliers to put themselves in.  If they are unable to provide verified publicly available Chain of Custody reports then I suspect it is not a 'sustainable' and viable supply chain.  I maintain therefore that Merbau is not a sustainable timber to use, or for Bunnings to be selling

Hi @Suesnews,

Thanks for your feedback.

Bunnings has had a zero tolerance approach to illegal timber in its supply chain for well over a decade, and is committed to working closely with key suppliers, industry groups, governments and NGO’s to continually develop opportunities to provide responsibly sourced timber products to customers.

In West Papua we have worked with a supplier to establish the world’s first FSC certified forestry operation for Merbau. The operations are independently audited and provide locals with a sustainable and legal way to benefit from their timber resources while protecting against over-exploitation.

Resources that you might find useful include:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects