Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Merbau slat fence

CagsMac
Cultivating a Following

Merbau slat fence

Hi all, for my first ever building task, I tackled a merbau slat fence around this new slab I just had laid. Purpose is to increase the usability of our courtyard and so far I am pretty happy. There are a couple of rookie errors on the fence like not measuring correctly and the top slat being 10mm above the top of the post. A post cap has hidden that somewhat and the gate wasn't level so I had to adjust the slats to level. But on first glance it looks good and hopefully most won't notice unless they are looking for issues or I point it out. Intention is to continue a screen along the front wall for some added privacy.

I wanted to share the progress because I have been looking all over the internet for ways to do this style of fence without going to the ready made posts with slat inserts etc. Hopefully it will help someone else. I have no experience with this, just asked a couple of tradies along the way where I wasn't sure about something. If anyone has any questions, fire them away and I will hopefully be able to provide the answer you seek.

Scott MacIMG_5083.JPGIMG_4942.jpgIMG_5066 (2).jpgIMG_5082.JPGIMG_5070 (2).jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Merbau slat fence

Well done @CagsMac. I'm sure your project will have loads of admirers. You should feel really proud of what you have accomplished. 

Many thanks for sharing.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pats6182
Having an Impact

@CagsMac What posts have you used?  The ones that have slots to insert the timber slats?

CagsMac
Cultivating a Following

Hi @pats6182, I used 50mm steel posts. I was going to use aluminium but they didn't have enough in stock. I just tacked some 20mm angle on each post so I could secure the slats from the rear so you wouldn't see exposed screws on the outside. let me know if you want some close up pics and I'll get some for you.

Hi @CagsMac do you mind sending clsoe up pics. 

Thanks heaps

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects