Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mesh panels for decking fence

Jeanette5kids
Just Starting Out

Mesh panels for decking fence

I wanting to build a metal mesh fence around part of my decking and use it as a vertical garden. Im not sure of the best way to start. I would prefer black mesh fencing. I dont know how to attach to floor and still be solid enough for the plants. Similar to photo but only one piece of mesh not double.

Thanks

BEDE4716-B83D-402A-97F9-DE00C648653D.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Mesh panels for decking fence

Looks like a fantastic project @Jeanette5kids and I can't wait to see your spin on it. 

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc shared this helpful guide about How to build a vertical garden using timber, and he'll be happy to help you get started on this project when he's back on the site on Friday.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and we look forward to seeing your updates on this project and whatever else you're tackling around the house and garden.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jeanette5kids,

It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

Reinforcing mesh is not self-supporting and requires some type of structure to be built, enabling it to stand upright. These mesh-based vertical gardens get their rigidity from the front and back panel being joined to form a rectangular prism. In your image, I suspect they have then fixed this rectangular prism to the floor and the wall. To have a single piece of mesh stand upright and support the weight of potted plants, you would need to build a timber frame around it. Here are a couple of examples I've put together. The first using 90 x 45 treated Pine with the addition of feet to stop it toppling over. The structure also needs to be bolted down as the feet on one side won't be enough to stop it toppling over. Alternatively, if you were to increase the frame timber to 90 x 90mm treated pine posts, you could concrete the structure into the ground or do away with the feet. If this was on a concrete slab, you could Dynabolt the bottom rail directly to the concrete.

I'd be interested to know what type of surface you intend to fix the mesh onto. 

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jeanette5kids,

I've just had another thought since this is to be used as a fence on a deck. If this is an elevated deck requiring a balustrade to prevent falls, then this type of mesh material would not be suitable, as it would be considered a climbing hazard. For further information on balustrading requirements, please contact your local council or building regulatory authority.

Mitchell

Thankyou, but it’s not really a fence. The deck is not far off the ground

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects