Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Moving a hot water system

Tomo
Getting Established

Moving a hot water system

Has anyone temporarily moved a hot water system? Mine is currently situated on top of the decking boards I need to replace. The deck is about a metre off ground level. I'm imagining it would need to be drained, disconnected and then could be moved for a day while I replace decking and also put up the new cladding that continues in behind where it is. If anyone has done this before, Cheers

tomo

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Re: moving a hot wayer system

@Tomo G'day mate. It's a very relevant question. As you may be aware both plumbing and electrical are licenced trades and there is very little a DIY person can legally do.

We recently had to have some very minor works done on our new hot water service and we had no option to use a licenced plumber which my advice for what your describing most likely be the case.

I don't know any plumbers on the site yet but I will tag @ProjectPete into the conversation as I have the utmost respect for his skills and knowledge base. He may be able to confirm my thoughts of direct you in the right way.

But you have done the right thing by asking first

Kind regards Rob 👍

Re: moving a hot wayer system

howdy Rob, thanks very much for your help. I will get onto finding a plumber who can disconnect it all for me. The challenge will be getting the work done in a short time and to not have days without hot water, hopefully. Thanks again for your quick response to me. Cheers

tom

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Moving a hot water system

Good stuff @Tomo, great to see you make your first post on Workshop and get a swift and helpful reply. 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand with anything. We have loads of clever, created and experienced members sharing advice and inspiration every day. 

And please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the tag and kind words @gippslandhome. I haven't done it before so unfortunately can't help @Tomo. In short, I'd do some research online to gauge complexity and risks then determine whether I DIY or pay a tradie. But I should probably be saying "follow the rules/laws" regardless of how simple it may be :wink:
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

How old is it @Tomo?

You would need a sparky and a plumber to do it safely so it might be an opportune time to replace the unit and get the new one installed someone else? 

Thanks @ProjectPete for your input as always professional.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Tomo
Getting Established

Thanks Jason 

Tomo
Getting Established

Thanks Marty, it's fairly new. I can see your logic if it was getting on in years. I've decided to leave it and work around it. It'll be screened off so I can hide anything unsightly. Cheers

tomo 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects