Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help with stuck lock mechanism for pram

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Need help with stuck lock mechanism for pram

IMG20210124104438.jpg

IMG20210124104529.jpg

IMG20210124104637.jpg

 Hi. 

I'm fixing this pram for a young mum. I've identified the issue. The two front wheels are having unlocking/locking issues. I've taken it apart for both front wheels. The issue is the lock mechanism when pushed up and down will not lock in. 

I took it apart, have given it a good clean up and grease. I think for some reason I cannot see the lock is jamming. First photo is in the up position which is unlocked. Second photo is in the down position which is locked. Third photo you can see the little black button poking out which shows it is in lock position. 

The trouble is, there is difficulty getting the lock to go up and down smoothly. Pushing down, pushing up action is prevented. I'm not sure what could be causing it without trying to open it further. There is a pin I would have to slowly weasel apart to remove it so I can go further. 

Does anybody be have any ideas? 

@redracer01 @MitchellMc 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need help with stuck lock mechanism for pram

Hi @Wouldy,

Do both the front wheels have locking mechanisms on them, independent of each other, and they've both failed? My first thought is whether you are putting enough force on them to lock. With my child's stroller, you can push the lever down, but it requires an additional solid movement with your body weight to lock it into place. On mine, I couldn't operate the lock with enough force by hand. Have you tried reassembling and activating them with your foot as I presume they were designed to be?

I'd imagine if it is not a case of them being activated correctly, it would be because something has jammed or broken inside. You'll need to take them apart further to diagnose that.

Please also take care as a brake mechanism on a stroller must work correctly at all times and for it to fail whilst in use could have dire consequences.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc 

I will try with a little more force. It is both of them. For the front wheels it is more like a button then a lever. I had already thought I'm going to need to open it up further to get a closer look. I will be very careful. I fixed a different pram last night so all good.

Thanks Mitchell. 

@MitchellMc 

Not long after I messaged you back, I fixed the issues. After testing out the inner lock mechanism with the shell and button off, it worked well with a bit of force and both wheels locked into place. I decided to put it all back together and give it a go. Was having a few issues but figured it. The buttons need to be pushed down and up on certain angles. It seemed someone had been a bit tough with it or I put it down to a lot of use. 

When I got it, the left wheel was locked into place and the right wheel wouldn't lock at all. 

Another satisfied customer. 

Thanks for the help Mitchell. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to hear you got it sorted @Wouldy! Well done.

Remember, we are here to help so give us a shout anytime you need.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. 

I will do. I didn't know a workshop existed. I'm glad I found it. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects