Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Never oiled Merbau timber gate

ysenrab
Just Starting Out

Never oiled Merbau timber gate

Hi,

I have a gate and small fence that were installed about 18mths ago, made from Merbu timber. I never got around to oiling them. Is it too late and if not, what prep do i need to do? What product(s) do you recommend. The timber has started to fade.

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Never oiled Merbau timber gate

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ysenrab. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about oiling a Merbau gate and fence.

Adding some images of the gate and fence will drastically increase your chances of our members being able to assist you with some helpful information. How weathered is the timber? Has it gone grey? If it still looks quite reasonable, then you'll likely be able to just rejuvenate it with an exterior oil. If the timber has lost some colour, choose an oil such as this Feast Watson 4L Merbau Traditional Timber Oil which includes Merbau coloured pigments. If it is starting to splinter and has gone grey, a more thorough restoration is likely needed, which might include sanding the timber back.

I'm keen to hear more about your project and assist further. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Flyingdoormat
Getting Established

Re: Never oiled Merbau timber gate

Never too late to protect the timber @ysenrab. Hopefully all it needs is a bit of a clean using deck cleaner and then give it an oil.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects