Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New BBQ purchase – talk me out of buying gas

Mick
Cultivating a Following

New BBQ purchase – talk me out of buying gas

bbq.jpgHey all.

I know the BBQ connoisseurs will talk up charcoal cookers, but I’m not sure I can be bothered. Am I misinformed that there’s a lot more work and preparation and clean up involved compared to gas?

I am happy to pay for a good gas BBQ as I love my food and want to learn more about the art of cooking great BBQ, so feel free to talk me out of buying gas...

Cheers,

Mick

Re: New BBQ purchase – talk me out of buying gas

Hey @Kermit, I make and sell my own over on my website. There's a real industry beginning to pop up in small batch rubs as the BBQ scene here in Australia is really on the rise. You can try commercial ones as well but a lot of these have preservatives and the like to maintain shelf life.

Flavour wise, there are some classic flavours for different meats - beef is usually salt and pepper at its core, for pork, things like paprika and occasionally sugar. Chicken and lamb I've found you can be a bit adventurous with. My lamb rub has sumac in it, which is incredible flavour wise.

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au
NickM
Building a Reputation

@MoonshineBen I'd be keen to see a few photos of your set up. I'm completely new but would love to get some advice on what to buy.

I'm doing a cook this weekend, will take a few shots for you.

Hey @MoonshineBen,

Hope all is well. Just noticed you still owe us a few pictures of your setup at home. Could we trouble you to share a few photos? 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I do too, stay tuned!

I'd love to hear ideas or suggestions on how to built your own fish smoker if anyone has any advice to offer? 

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
lost89577
Growing in Experience

if you want smoke fish check out NZ web sites, they love converting old fridge for cold smoking. they use homemake or "Smokai" smoke generators (been around 10 years everyone copies them). Also you ncan use them to convert gas bbq for smoking too.

@lost89577  Nice idea.

I hope to get a smoker one day this year after some construction happens (stay tuned for a major project😎 )

In the meantime,  I use my 4 burner LPG covered barbecue with a smoke box. and soaked chips from my local Bunnings.

Yesterday I actually "smoked" a brisket. It was a test for a future meal with my brother.

The setup is simple. Turn the far left burner on full, put the smoker box with soaked chips on top of the grill over the burner. 

On the extreme right of the "warming shelf", place your dry rubbed brisket, put an aluminium tray under the meat to catch the juices, and close the lid.

I used a "smart bluetooth meat probe" to watch the temperature over the cooking period

I had to top up the smoker box a few times over the 4 hour cook, and the meat was tender, moist and beautiful.

The next attempt will include photos.

Since this discussion was created five years ago, we have really widened our range regarding smoking and chargrilling. I'd encourage everyone to check out our amazing offer of smokers and charcoal BBQs. The range of accessories and smoking chips will undoubtedly have you covered for all those delicious smoked flavours. From Maple to Mesquite and Cherry to Applewood, there's something for everyone. We're really a one-stop-shop for all your barbecuing and smoking needs.

My dream unit would be the Oklahoma Joe's 'Longhorn Combo' Charcoal/Gas Smoker & Grill, which has separate cooking chambers for smoking, charcoal grilling or gas grilling. It's the best of both worlds with gas and charcoal.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects