Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor bench - First project ever

TheCouchman
Building a Reputation

Outdoor bench - First project ever

Hey there...

I’m new to this site and new to woodworking. I’ve never been a handy person and so I’m as surprised as anyone at my recent interest. I was diagnosed with depression at the start of the year and discovered that doing things around the house are a great therapy for me. My first attempt at anything serious was a bench for out the back.  I’ve kept it simple using a 2.4m treated pine sleeper. I asked the guys at Bunnings to cut 2 x 450mm legs for me and the rest would become the seat.

Here’s the result... all that’s needed is a stain and it’s done. There’s some rough bits and thof joins could be better, but it’s stable and I’m really happy with my first effort. Once it’s done it will go out the back near our fire pit. 

Looking forward to getting more inspiration here. 

Adam9ED35400-0A58-4488-AFA9-8A09020F4F66.jpegThe finished product!

F73B2F57-DBF6-4A0B-A34A-674306C5072C.jpeg

23E68180-F893-4B3D-AE0D-A17CD0FA2BED.jpeg

Re: Outdoor bench - First project ever

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cate101.

I trust @TheCouchman appreciates your kind comment.

It appears they have used a rebated joint as per the image below. It also looks like they have screwed through the seat into the legs with something similar to Buildex 14-10 x 75mm Climacoat Bugle Head Batten Timber Screws.

Were you thinking of making a project like this? It is certainly a very minimalistic and functional design. I've been wanting to make something like this for a while.

We look forward to hearing about your own projects around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or would like to share them with the community. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration from our members as they are contributing their ideas here every day.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Re: Outdoor bench - First project ever

Great job ! Good proportions too 😆

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects