Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor bench using laminated panel

Soledad
Getting Established

Outdoor bench using laminated panel

Hi everyone!. Thanks for your attention!.

I'm building an outdoor bench and I'm looking at the laminated panels as an option for the benchtop.

I'm considering something like the SpecRite Kwila FJ Laminated Panel (https://www.bunnings.co.nz/specrite-2200-x-600-x-26mm-kwila-fj-laminated-panel_p8330163), but I'm unsure if it will be okay handling the rain and the sun.

I was thinking about adding a protection coat (like some deck & exterior stain), but the panel has some oil treatment already, so not sure about it neither!.

I will really appreciate any help, tips, ideas, ... 

Thanks in advance!. I'm looking forward to sharing the final product with the community!.

--

Sole

StevieB_0-1623125230288.jpeg

Re: Are Laminated Panels good for outdoor use?

Hello @Soledad 

What a fantastic idea! I don't know if anyone noticed but your project actually does triple duty. Not only does it cover the aircon exchange unit but protects it from the elements as well. Plus it serves as a spot for your BBQ! You've basically turned this area into a great spot to gather for a nice little picnic. To add extra protection to your beautiful creation, you can also cover it with tarp. The sun is the number one enemy of exposed timber. During those long hot summers where you don't use it, give it that extra protection and cover it up. Just the top of course we' don't want to choke the aircon exchange unit. Your bench top and BBQ will last longer and not get cooked in the sun. we look forward to your future creations and if we can help yo with your projects please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red     

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects