Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor kitchen project (deck and awning)

funksoulbro1
Building a Reputation

Outdoor kitchen project (deck and awning)

20210507_142744.jpegG'day DIYers. Thought I'd share with you the biggest DIY project I've ever attempted. We're basically extending our alfresco area to include an awning, deck and outdoor kitchen. 

Here is the space, I hope you enjoy the journey as I embark upon new DIY methods never done before. I consider myself quite handy, happy to give anything a crack once. 

20201106_163957.jpg

We started with the awning. I was going to purchase a kit and install it myself. Stratco kits were so expensive so I employed a local builder to supply and install for pretty much the same cost. 

The goal for the whole project was to produce a maintenance free area. So we chose the use of steel and composite materials throughout.

The awning consists of aluminium posts, beams and gutters. The ceiling is insulated and we incorporated 2 led lights to match the LEDs in situ under the alfresco.

20201120_205646.jpg

To ensure the space is weatherproof, I constructed a steel frame using Krauff tracks and wall studs from Bunnings. This is to support the blueboard sheets.

20201227_182202.jpg

Mounting the sheets was difficult, just because of the weight of the material. Thank goodness for quick grips.

20201228_153235.jpg

Then I applied the cement joint compound to cover the joints and screw heads.

20201229_133037.jpg

We chose the finish the kitchen splashback with Dulux Texturecoat. First we primed the wall.

20201231_170135.jpg

Nearly stopped the project there and converted the area to a home cinema,  but we pressed on and applied the texturecoat.

20210102_155933.jpg

Then it was time to construct the deck. The sub-floor would be built using 100x500x2.0 galvanised steel bearers and joists on a single plane. The 2 main bearers would be attached to the side of the alfresco slab and attached to the awning posts. The bearer on the house side is 7m in length and extends beyond the alfresco to the retaining wall. Getting those 2 bearers installed was challenging due the weight and lengths.

20210222_164216.jpg

After that I set the posts and attached the remaining bearers and joists.

20210228_102739.jpg

20210228_102648.jpg

Prior to this I ran power and water from nearby sources. I also have a stormwater drain at the rear corner where the awning gutters feed into. 

The sub-floor follows the level of the alfresco which falls away to the rear of the yard. This is evident when you see the bottom of the splashback and the level of the bearer. 

IMG_20210305_050501_991.jpg

After completing the sub-floor, we ordered the composite decking from Bunnings (ekodeck) and installed the boards. I chose to install breaker boards to avoid any butt joints in the decking boards. 

20210307_171748.jpg

20210307_201924.jpg

And added some chairs for looks.

20210309_130908.jpg

Kitchen construction time. Another trip to Bunnings to purchase appliances and the material for the kitchen cabinets. In keeping with the maintenance free theme I choose 65mm Klauff steel tracks and wall studs. They were built around the 2 door Matadoor fridge also purchased from Bunnings. 

20210314_151811.jpg

So that's where I'm up to as at 12 March 2021. Will keep you posted as I continue. Next step, connect power for the fridge, purchase cabinet cladding, bench tops and install sink and bbq rangehood.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Paul.

Re: Outdoor kitchen project (deck and awning)

No probs Mitchell will keep you posted.

Paul

funksoulbro1
Building a Reputation

Keen to get some thoughts from the community about a benchtop solution for this project. We're currently experiencing some heavy rains here in NSW and I can see where rain will hit the kitchen from the sides. I don't want to install stone benchtops and was thinking about laminate but this might not be an ideal solution if it is prone to getting wet? 

There are different manufacturing processes for laminate/coated benchtops, and some wouldn't be suitable @funksoulbro1. For instance, I would strongly advise not to use a benchtop that isn't thermoformed like the Marquee 2400 x 600 x 25mm White Laminate Bench Top. Water will penetrate the edges where the sheets of the laminate meet.

Any benchtop that has particleboard interior is likely only to be recommended for use in an undercover area. Undercover is generally described as somewhere the benchtop won't receive direct rain, so your situation doesn't exactly apply.

Timber benchtops could be an option if you coat them with a suitable exterior marine grade varnish.

Let me mention @redracer01 to see if he has any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc that makes perfectly good sense.

Hi mate love your build

I built my own outdoor kitchen a few months ago and had the same issue with the benchtops and prices of being quoted for granite and outdoor ceaserstone.  

I ended up going with 1200x1200 porcelain floor tiles that were then cut to size.  As the longest part of my bench was 1700 long there is only one join on the total bench. 

Here is what it looks like when the tiles were laid down and then finished with appliancesBBQ 3.jpgbbq1.jpgBBQ2.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Great to see you jumping straight in and sharing your project @vasilako. Your outdoor kitchen looks fantastic.

Let me tag @funksoulbro1 so that he's alerted to your comment.

We'd love to hear more about your projects around the house and garden, so feel free to start creating your own posts to ask questions or share your progress along the way.

Stevie

funksoulbro1
Building a Reputation

6 weeks on and a little more work has been done. I used left over ekodeck offcuts and cladded the bbq section of the kitchen. The rest of the kitchen will be cladded in a composite slat (samples are shown to work out the best colour). Were going with the light grey to keep the base palette neutral.

kitchen10.PNG

I purchased stainless steel doors from ebay, connected power and installed the Bellini Rangehood (another Bunnings product). I may have to upgrade to a commercial unit, but the cost for the Bellini was quite cheap so we'll see how it performs in the short term. Consideration was given to the height of the rangehood over a gas cooktop and it is installed within those limits.

The rest of the BBQ is now cladded, and all stainless steel doors installed. The stainless steel splashback for the BBQ section is installed also. Power is hooked up and I eagerly await the arrival of my benchtops tomorrow so I can complete the sink, tapware and hook up water and drainage and install the pelmet to cover the gaps between the ceiling and the blueboard. We're almost there!

kitchen 11.PNG 

It’s coming together beautifully @funksoulbro1. Thanks for keeping us updated along the way.

I’m sure you’re eager to finish this project and start entertaining. We’re looking forward to seeing the end result.

Stevie

I'm excited to hear you're coming close to completion @funksoulbro1! It's been a fantastic journey to follow along with. What type of benchtop did you decide to go with?

I can't wait to see your finished results.

Mitchell

The benchtops finally arrived and so I've been able to install the sink and mixer tap and connect them to water and drainage. The ziggy is in its final resting place and a couple of BBQ's have been had to christen the kitchen. Just have to secure the sink,  benchtops, add the vertical infill piece next to the BBQ and add the LED lighting feature. We are pleased with the results and the benchtops have really brought it all together. 

20210507_142729.jpg

20210507_142650.jpg

20210507_142324.jpg

20210507_142744.jpg

Just waiting now for the pizza oven to arrive and to add some finishing touches and that will be a wrap. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects