Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor kitchen using workshop cabinets

TerryD
Growing in Experience

Outdoor kitchen using workshop cabinets

We saw these great workshop cabinets and benches in Bunnings and thought we could use these to create an outdoor kitchen.  

We toyed with the idea of getting cabinets built in and decided the cost was going to be prohibitive and also some exposure to weather would’ve been an issue.  

The result is great using these workshop items from Bunnings, we have places to store all that we need for an outdoor kitchen.  We use it heaps.

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor Kichen using workshop cabinets

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TerryD. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your project.

What an innovative approach to a difficult situation! Well done for thinking outside the box and achieving a wonderful result. I'd be interested to hear about how you installed the sink in the workbench. Would you mind showing us a picture from underneath? 

Thanks for sharing once again, and we very much look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
zeggie
Just Starting Out

Re: Outdoor kitchen using workshop cabinets

What items did you use for the sink portion? Looks great!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @zeggie

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about the kitchen sink.

Let me tag @TerryD so that he's made aware of your query. Are you planning your own outdoor kitchen? We would love to see any plans you might have.

If you need any assistance with your project please let us know.

Eric

TerryD
Growing in Experience

Hi @zeggie

i bought a sink and tap from sink warehouse and got a plumber to install for me. I cut the hole out for the sink with a jigsaw cutting through the timber top and metal cabinet.

Cheers

TerryD
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell

i bought a sink and tap then cut out the timber top and metal cabinet for the sink with a jigsaw. I got a plumber to connect the waste and hot and cold water.

Cheers

86F78D82-A48E-4E76-9598-A7C43A229362.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @TerryD

Thank you for sharing that detail of your outdoor BBQ build. Let me tag @zeggie to make sure they see your answer. I was wondering myself how you managed to install the sink over the steel cabinet. 

Again, thank you for showing us that installation technique.

Eric

seanoc
Just Starting Out

Hi. @TerryD,

Thanks for sharing this project. Super interesting. Just wondering what products the frame and top are. Is it a rackit  system? And is the bbq just sitting on top or do you have it cut in. Just wondering about heat and the counter top. Thanks sean

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @seanoc

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the outdoor kitchen cabinets.

Let me tag @TerryD to make them aware of your kind words and questions. I believe they used a form of Rackit system although I'm not aware which one they exactly used. If you're building something similar, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see your version of the outdoor kitchen bbq.

If you have any other questions about this project, please let us know.

Eric

TerryD
Growing in Experience

@seanoc 

Hi Sean

The setup works really well. The one on the left is a workshop table with a metal workshop cabinet underneath with a sink cutout and plumbed in.

the one on the right is a workshop cabinet that has a timber top.  The Weber BBQ Is sitting on top and the heat is not a problem.  I sealed both tops with clear lacquer to protect them from staining etc.

If you need any more information or photos, please let me know.

Cheers.

Terry

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects