Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outside balcony

Geek1967
Finding My Feet

Outside balcony

Hi, I’ve decided to regrout and reseal our outdoors balcony due to loose grout and effervescent. I would like some advise on how to get started and products to use. I wouldn’t class myself as a handyman 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outside balcony

@Geek1967,

Those carbide blades should be capable of cutting through most standard grouts and mortars. Potentially, the builder could have used a structural grout, though I'd believe you'd still make some headway even with that. 

The only tool that would be more effective than one that oscillates would be an angle grinder and diamond blade. However, they are much less forgiving, and you need to be really careful you don't cut through past the tile into the balconies waterproofing.

I haven't encountered this issue before of a carbide blade in a multi-tool being completely ineffective. If you'd like, I can touch base with your local store to see if there is a team member you could discuss this issue with in person. I can also speak with them to see if we can swap this unit over for an angle grinder, if you were interested in that, since it hasn't been suitable for the intended purpose.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Vand
Growing in Experience

I recently did the exact same job with my outside tiles/grout. I used the angle grinder and diamond blades as mentioned. It cut through very easily, but it's hard labour and overall time consuming. I would recommend two people (two angle grinders) and knee pads for a solid day of work. Also, be prepared for a LOT of dust. You could try blowing it whilst grinding away or vaccuuming as you work, but I think realistically you just need to accept it as a tough job.

Once finished grinding, blow + vacuum the dust away completely, you can apply your grout of choice. Then, consider if you want to seal it to mitigate water ingress. I had CPC Shower Plug recommended (sold at Bunnings) and so far it's OK, but still shows some signs of water ingress but no efflorescence - it's only been 1 year so too hard to judge though

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Vand,

Thank you for sharing your experience and your suggestions, they will definitely come in handy! It's good that the CPC Shower Plug is holding up and there isn't any efflorescence, fingers crossed it continues to do the job. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects