Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting timber support structure on an outside deck

LindaLou
Just Starting Out

Painting timber support structure on an outside deck

Help! I want to paint the timber support structures on my outdoor decking area and have been told the timber will need special prep products. Can anyone offer advice please? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting timber support structure on an outside deck

Hello @LindaLou

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about painting your timber support structure under your deck.

Before I offer any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the supports you are planning to paint? This will give our members a better idea of what you're painting and will then let us offer you an ideal solution. To start you off, there are a few factors to be aware of concerning your decking supports. Is it still oiled? If it is, that oil must be either washed or sanded away. What kind of paint were you planning to use? Will you be oiling it again or will you be using actual exterior paint? How old is the decking structure?

Once we have more information about your deck, we'll be able to recommend products to use and suggest steps to take to paint your support structure. 

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects