Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pallet D.I.Y. projects

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Pallet D.I.Y. projects

I was recently researching vertical and herb garden ideas. For myself there are two things that make or break my decision to undergo a project. 

1. Is it easy and achievable?

2. Is it low cost?

In my findings I stumbled across a pallet vertical garden, which really intrigued me. It was different, looked easy enough to complete and didn't use many materials at all.

This then got me thinking about what else pallets could be used for around the home. To my surprise there are a lot of great ideas that people find for timber pallets. I have been able to find many nifty ideas using pallets which seem like easy, low budget alternatives for all sorts of things. Here are just a few of my favourites.

pallet-vertical-garden.jpgpallet-shoe-rack.jpgpallet-storage.jpgpallet-door.jpgpallet-outdoor-lighting.jpgpallet-fire-pit.jpg

pallet-shelf.jpgpallet-garden-shelf-2.jpg

Would be really interested to know if anyone else has been inspired and used pallets for any DIY projects? Will definitely be trying some of these myself. 

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: recycling wooden pallets

Hi @Jason 

The problem lays more with the working with the pallets, the saw dust, the handling before hand and the leaching of any chemicals that may be in the timber while working on a project. The sealing of the timber is the last stage. A large number of mens / community sheds will not allow second hand pallets into their environment because they just do no know where or how the pallet was used.

recycle or upcycleing should alway be considered  but not at the cost of health

In the end it will be the end user to be a wear of the risk

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: recycling wooden pallets

Hi @r23on

Thank you for bringing up the topic of pallet safety when doing D.I.Y. The information you've provided will come in handy for those D.I.Y. members who are planning to make pallet projects. A good way to seal a pallet is to use a Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker in combination with exterior paint

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge on pallet safety.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects