Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pallet coffee table

abhayks
Having an Impact

Pallet coffee table

C2FB4EFD-EDED-44C0-809A-1F90C29C5526.jpeg

F37C0D7A-880C-40DE-8B74-315F43489388.jpeg

  

5F388E47-C6EE-4254-AC5F-9D155705ECF4.jpeg

4F6A3B78-A08E-4FB9-A3E5-45C7BC60E1BC.jpeg

  

Hi All,

Continuing my love affair with woodworking and Palette wood , here is my next project.

still need to stain, I’m planning dark walnut. 
suggestions please. 

oh, forgot to put a skirting around the table top, will do tomorrow.

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Palette coffee table

Thanks for sharing this really beautiful work @abhayks. I'm sure your project will inspire a few community members to try to create something similar. I love how the variation in timber colour accentuates the herringbone effect. Could you talk us through the steps you took? Is there anything you would do differently?

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
abhayks
Having an Impact

As per your advise @JaneK , here it is

• Clean up the palettes lightly ( I had used Sander with 40 grit Sand paper ) .
  • Once its clean you can see and decide which is better looking side to be used as top. 
  • Clean up the bottom side more and try to make it plane so that it can stick on the base. You could potentially use a Planer or if you are rich, a Thicknesser . I don't have either so used Sander. 
  • Buy a 1200 X 600 base. I chose a 16mm MDF  for the strength it will provide. Being 16 mm it'll not bend due to weight of the palettes. 
  • Draw a Straight line to separate the MDF into two pieces of size 1200 X 300 mm ( Center line).
  • Using a Combination square Draw a line that should be 45 degrees to the shorter edge ( 600 mm) and intersect it with the center line .
  • Decide on a length for the palettes pieces and ensure that all pieces are EXACTLY of same length and width. this measurement has to be correct else the design will not come nice. I have a hand saw and 150mm Circular Saw,  as the number of pieces were too many so used the circular saw. An Easy trick is to line up two palettes  and use the circular saw to cut them both of the same width. Then use one of them as template and cut all other palettes of the same width. Once the width is done, cut for a length a little more than double the width and use that as a template to cut all other pieces of the same lengths. I think I have used close to 50 pieces, so its a time consuming process. 
  • On the MDF, place a piece such that the long edge of the piece is parallel to the 45 degree line and it intersects the center line at half its width. The location of this First palette piece is super important as all other pieces just follow it. To repeat, the middle point of the shorter edge of the piece should be on the center line and the longer edge ( or the length ) should be 45 degrees to either edge of MDF. Fix this piece with two Screw. 
  • Place the next piece to match its longer edge flush with the shorter edge of previous piece. Again the middle of shorter edge this piece will be on the center line. Keep repeating this pattern and you'll get middle row. 
  • Use your judgement to create the outer rows. Look at the photo and it'll be more clear what I mean. 
  • Use Circular saw to cut off the palette pieces which are protruding out of the MDF. You'll get a clean 1200 X 600 Table top. 
  • Use Wood Glue to fix the pieces and Place heavy objects on top to ensure the pieces get glued properly. I had used my tool box, can of paints, hammer, Drill etc. as heavy objects. This glue is very good and results in good strength adhesion. 
  • For the Legs, use the thicker palettes ( normally used as base or connector for the top palettes). If you cannot find thick enough palettes, just glue and screw together three normal palettes. 
  • Use Circular Saw to cut the top and bottom of the legs at 45 degrees and put them on top of each other in a "X" shape so that you can mark the position of the Dado joint. 
  • Use Circular saw to cut Dado joints and attach the legs in form of "X" using glue and screws. 
  • Attach both legs to the table top. 
  • Lastly; Sand , sand and more sand the Table top till you get your desired finish. 

A word of caution::

A mate of mine had advised me to use Table saw as that would make many steps very simple. Things like making the wood plane, cutting a Dado joint and finally cutting the table top to shape is very simple using a table saw. I had almost given in and decided to buy this gem.   However, read that Maximum woodworking accidents happens on a table saw. Due to kickback the wood pieces can fly back to you at 100 KMPH and hit badly. In extreme cases, the hand or fingers can go close to blade and many experienced woodworkers have lost digits. Saw a video where the first safety advise was to NOT use a table saw. I have just started with woodworking and do not have enough confidence to operate a table saw. A Much safer option would be to use a Mitre saw, though it is not as versatile as a Table saw and costs more $$$ .  

This is just my personal opinion, please use power tools as per your confidence and comfort level. 

As a beginner, all my tools are entry level Ozito. I find them more than sufficient for my needs. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @abhayks,

Many thanks for providing all those additional details on the steps you took creating this table. They'll surely give our members a great idea of how they can create this inspirational project.

I'd encourage you to do some test sections with the colouring your choice. There is nothing worse than coating a whole project to realise you've made the wrong stain selection.

I completely agree with your assessment of table saws, as they can be very dangerous if not treated with respect. I've recently acquired one and have been very carefully trialling a few items on it, gaining some confidence but most certainly not losing any respect for it.

Most of my tools are also Ozitio, and they perform admirably at the jobs I've used them for. 

Great job, and I can't wait to see it finished.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

59E2BF3C-E149-4A71-AD12-4902E9A0CF6C.jpeg

2A068CB8-84A3-4438-A59A-B81DD7E1C74E.jpeg

Thanks @MitchellMc for the excellent advise.

I had tried Walnut Stain and liked it too much. However, my wife felt that it was not shiny enough, so she went for Oil Based stain . I tried putting my point to which she said what do I know about beauty and aesthetics. I could not miss this chance and reminded here that I married her due to her beauty. The dialog worked a little too much that she decided to not only buy the stain but also paint it. Like any obedient husband I complied and she painted it using the Ozito spray. Turned out very different to what I had planned with water based, however, I'm not in a position to complain :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I really like the darker colouring @abhayks.

Congratulations on a fantastic looking table, and many thanks for sharing the finished results.

I look forward to seeing the next project you share.

Mitchell

KevinMall
Making a Splash

Re: Pallet coffee table

Fantastic effort. Good on you.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Great to have you join this discussion @KevinMall. Let me tag @abhayks so they're alerted to your kind comment about this amazing project.

Are you planning on using some of the ideas from this build in your own coffee table design?

Stevie

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

@abhayks  Oh WOW, just love what you have done with this small table... Chevron... it looks great..   You certainly have your teeth into recycled pallets, awesome... I've been collecting old fence palings to do a feature wall, only hope it turns out half as good as your lovely table.  Have you oiled it?

Cheers

This old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects